Chapter 19. A United Front

Coffee cups were being stacked in the kitchen area and seatbelts were being buckled in preparation for landing when Rossi and Hotch slipped into their seats. Rossi looked across the aisle to where Reid gazed out a window, watching the Quantico airstrip grow larger.

“It’s set, kid. Dr. Bescardi went for it. And it turns out she didn’t talk to Strauss. All she did was leave a message that she wanted to get you back as soon as possible and she didn’t think it was right for someone with your…abilities…to refuse her request. In the name of science, she was imploring Strauss to send you back to her.” Rossi met the younger agent’s look of dread with an encouraging grin. “The important thing is that Strauss has no proof why Bescardi wants you. You’re safe, kid.”

Hotch raised his voice, commanding the attention of the entire team. “Listen up, everyone. This is how it is if anyone asks: Reid’s help is being requested on a research project involving ESP. Not as a test subject, but as someone whose background in statistical data will come in handy. None of us mentioned this to the higher-ups, because it has absolutely nothing to do with the Bureau. It’s an extracurricular interest of Reid’s. That’s all.” Hotch paused before addressing the next item about which they’d all have to present a united front.

“And just as Reid’s hobby is statistics, Garcia’s is avatars. She’s been creating them on her own time, on her own equipment. She brings them in on flash drives to show you guys. Normally, she carries them with her, but she lost one recently and it’s been driving her crazy. As a matter of fact, Garcia, you’re going to be very grateful to Strauss for having found it. You’re going to ask for it back because it’s part of your collection. And you’re going to be willing to show the rest of that collection when Strauss asks to see it. Got it? Everyone?”

Assorted nods and mumbled responses in the affirmative cemented the profile that the team would assume in order to protect one of their own.

Reid felt an increase in nervous energy. Looking over at Hotch, he saw the Unit Chief take a few deep breaths. He couldn’t tell if it was to calm himself or to battle nausea again. Reid frowned. Once the initial meeting with Strauss was over, he wanted to talk to Hotch in private. He just needed reassurance that his boss’ mental and emotional state had stood up to that ill-conceived rescue attempt. The young doctor wasn’t sure how he’d manage that, but he thought being in close proximity without the psychic interference of a group might give him a clue.

Reid looked around the cabin. All these people were willing to lie for him. He reflected that Benjamin Franklin had once said “Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.” But the support, trust and determination Reid felt emanating from this close-knit group made him smile. He had a feeling they were about to discredit the great Franklin.

xxxxxxx

Strauss couldn’t contain herself. She was waiting on the catwalk overlooking the perimeter of the BAU bullpen when the team straggled in, go-bags in hand.

“Showtime,” Rossi muttered under his breath.

“Like unsubs outside the BAU aren’t enough…” Prentiss’ sarcasm only reflected what the others were thinking as well.

Reid felt a nervous surge ripple through the group. He glanced through their ranks, drawing strength from a sense of unified purpose. The only thing that made him balk was when he saw the airsick bag Hotch was carrying surreptitiously, trying to keep it hidden by wrapping it around the grip of his bag.

“Aaron! Come here.” Strauss’ command was a demonstration of control, a psychological tool to set the scene of a superior dealing with a lesser being. Clearly, Hotch was already headed her way. After all, she was standing at the railing just outside his office door.