Chapter 33. Problematic Variable

Dr. Bescardi’s apprehensions about Agent Hotchner’s effect on the retreat were confirmed at dinner.

She tried for a bright, congenial atmosphere despite the echoing immensity of the refectory where meals would be served. She was transporting a large bowl of pasta from kitchen to table when her three guests found their way in.

“So what do you think of your rooms? Rather Spartan, but you do have to remember they were originally monks’ cells.”

Hotch cleared his throat before replying. “Actually, I made some…rearrangements. I’m sure you won’t mind.” While Bescardi was considering the import of that little tidbit, the suited agent did another…problematic…thing. He surveyed the long, wooden table at which four settings had been laid. One at the head of the table, one on the immediate left side and two on the right. Without hesitation, he walked to the seat at the head of the table.

Reid compressed his lips to keep from snickering out loud. Ana nudged him. He gave her a single raised eyebrow in return. She took it to mean he’d explain Hotch’s behavior later. Ana assumed  Dr. Bescardi, as official hostess, had intended to occupy the seat traditionally reserved for the acknowledged authority figure.

The doctor skewered Hotch with a look that said that had indeed been her intention.

Instead of protesting, Bescardi set the bowl of pasta down with careful deliberation. She was a methodical woman and chose to address things in the order in which they occurred. She began with Hotch’s announcement about rearranging the rooms she’d assigned.

“Was there a problem with your rooms? Anything I can set right, Mr. Hotchner?”

“No, thank you. It’s all taken care of.” Hotch removed his jacket, draping it over the high, straight, back of the chair. Marking it as his territory, in effect. “They were just too far apart, so I moved some things around.”

Bescardi took a steadying breath. “These premises are rented, Mr. Hotchner. Any substantive changes you make to them will be difficult for me to explain to the church that holds my lease.”

Hotch’s eyes were issuing a clear challenge. “I moved Reid and Ms. Ashcroft into the same room.”

Bescardi’s brows shot to their highest possible position. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know their relationship merited…uh…cohabitation.”

“I don’t know the particulars of their…relationship. I wanted them together so I could watch over them.” Hotch maintained eye contact. “I’ll be sleeping just outside their doorway.”

Bescardi’s reaction actually choked her. It was part laugh, part snort, part disbelieving gasp. She ended up coughing and turning away until her breathing was under control. “Agent Hotchner, you don’t actually mean to sleep on the floor? The stone floor?”

“Yes.”

“Why?? For God’s sake why would you think that was necessary?”

Hotch shrugged. “It’s my job.” Then the gentleman in Hotch asserted itself, forcing its way past alpha posturing. “Can I help you with anything in the kitchen?”

Bescardi’s first reaction was to refuse this troublesome man’s offer, but in an instant, she changed her mind. Nodding graciously, she let him fall into step beside her. Cognizant of the acoustics in the huge space, she waited to speak until they were behind the solid wooden doors to the kitchen. She indicated the tray of sliced bread, redolent with garlic, the bowl of steaming sauce and another mounded with fresh greens and a variety of chopped vegetables. A large carafe of red wine also waited to be brought out. As Hotch reached for one of the bowls, Bescardi placed a lightly restraining hand on his arm.