Chapter 56. Room for the Night

On the way back, Reid drove, Rossi occupied the passenger seat, while Morgan drew the unpleasant duty of sitting in the back, guarding Dr. Bescardi.

Her lips moved incessantly, but she refused to respond to direct questions or any other verbal stimulus. Rossi had burned the sheaf of papers proclaiming over and over that answers were to be found in blood.

They all knew who’s blood the doctor was referencing.

Reid concentrated on driving. He went as fast as he could considering the absence of streetlamps and lane markings. He tried to keep the nervous anticipation he felt whenever he thought of the flash drive Rossi had given him under control. Whatever’s on it isn’t going to disappear. Get back safely first. But it was hard. In only one day of testing, he didn’t think Bescardi would have discovered much. Then again… He glanced in the rear view mirror.

“How’s it going back there, Morgan?”

“I won’t lie, kid. I’ll be glad to get your doc locked up. She’s nuts!” Morgan sighed as he watched Bescardi’s lips. He thought she might be endlessly repeating the line she’d been writing. About blood. About Reid’s blood. About Ana’s. “Bothers me, though, that she might get off with an insanity plea. I was kinda liking the thought of her working in a prison laundry. Or kitchen. You know, something to make her think about how far down she’d fallen from a research lab.”

Rossi looked over his shoulder and observed the doctor for a minute. “Oh, don’t worry, Morgan. I think she’s about as far away from a research lab as it’s possible to get already.” He turned to more practical matters. “Did you let J.J. and the others know what was going on?”

“Yeah. I called them before you got back last night. Caught an earful from Garcia about ‘unnecessary risks’ and ‘abandoning tech support’ even if it’s a non-tech situation. But J.J.’s the one I’ll have to take out for lunch or something.”

“Why’s that?”

“She’s the one who has to explain to Strauss why only half the team’ll show up for work tomorrow.” Morgan edged a little farther away from their prisoner, pressing himself against the side of the SUV. “We’ll have to check with her before we get back. So we can keep our stories straight.”

“You’re right. We dodged a bullet once. We don’t wanna get Strauss all riled up again…looking for a reason to come down on Hotch.” Rossi rubbed weary eyes before glancing at Reid. “We’ve had some team secrets in the past, but this one tops them all.”

The ride continued in silence as the night deepened.

No one noticed that Dr. Bescardi’s eyes had narrowed and her lips had stopped moving at mention of Erin Strauss’ name.

xxxxxxx

Ana jerked back as though she’d been electrocuted.

“Hotch! I’m sorry! I thought you were asleep…uh,…not that I’d peek at you while you’re sleeping…I mean…that’s not what I was doing…I mean….” She arrested her babble-reflex when she realized Hotch was trying rather unsuccessfully to hide a grin. And when she opened up enough to sense him, she was relieved to find amusement rather than outrage.

As he let his smile come completely out into the open, she returned it with an apologetic one of her own.

“I’m sorry. I was just…checking…something.”

Hotch raised one eyebrow. “I can save you the trouble. I’ve got the same parts most guys do.” He adopted a concerned frown. “At least, I did last time I checked.” Ana laughed as he pulled up the neck of the gown and pretended to take inventory of his body. “Okay…two of those…two of those…one of that…”