Chapter 29. Trap

Dr. Bescardi looked at Ana’s test results and allowed herself a sly smile. The girl wasn’t as amazing a find as Dr. Reid, but she was talented enough to make studying her worthwhile. So if I can’t get Reid to see reason, at least I won’t come out of this empty-handed. But the thought was fleeting. Carol Bescardi’s mind had a natural tendency to leap to the highest rung on whichever ladder she was contemplating at the moment. Once a goal was conceived, her desires usually followed at lightning speed.

What if I  could get both of them? As soon as it occurred to her, she knew she’d settle for nothing less.

Ana had returned to the lobby, pending interpretation of her tests. When Bescardi called her to come back into the examination room, she could tell the doctor didn’t plan on being completely open and honest. To Ana’s eyes, Bescardi looked as though she’d been dipped in a glaze coating. That generally meant that half-truths mixed with a liberal dose of half-lies and slanted perspectives would be the order of the day.

Ana sighed. She had hoped to be honestly evaluated so she could walk away once and for all, with no intention of returning. She knew that was what Spencer was hoping for her, too. Ana’s sigh conveyed discouragement. Bescardi reacted to it.

“Tired...Ana?”

“A little, but we’re almost done, right?”

“Well, I suppose. If you want to leave without a complete assessment of your talent.”

Ana recognized the bait, but didn’t see the harm in simulating interest. “I thought I was receiving a comprehensive assessment. I’m not?”

Bescardi went into full performance mode. “Well, I do my best, but…it’s this city, you know? As sensitive as a true ESP-er is, being in the midst of all this noise, and humanity, and unbridled emotion…well, even if the subject isn’t aware of it, it can make a tremendous difference in performance and, hence, outcome. You understand, don’t you?”

Yeah, right. Ana let the wry comment die unspoken. “I guess.” She shrugged. “But the city’s not going to ‘keep it down’ for you, so there’s not much you can do short of relocating.”

Bescardi perked up, visibly brightening as Ana provided just the lead-in she’d been hoping for. “Funny you should mention it. I’ve been toying with the idea of hosting a retreat of sorts. Specifically for gifted people such as yourself.”

Ana felt a shiver of anxiety. It was part recognition of a trap, and part reaction to the desperate hope pouring off of the doctor that the trap was baited correctly. She kept her voice level. “Sounds…interesting.”

“Oh, it will be. And such an opportunity for people like you! Imagine a peaceful, country setting far from all the distractions and intrusions that keep you from realizing your full potential. And you’d meet other sensitives! Think how exciting that could be!” Bescardi’s enthusiasm was verging on fanatic. Ana didn’t want to think what the reaction would be if her response was a flat refusal.

“So…when are you planning to do this?”

“I haven’t nailed down the details yet, but I’m thinking it’ll be soon.” Bescardi recalled the conditions of Dr. Reid’s agreement to be examined. “Certainly within the next couple of months. In that interval, if you come across someone…special…who you think might appreciate the opportunity I’m providing, please invite them, won’t you?”

“Sure.” She wants me to pressure Spencer into coming. Ana shivered. It was the sensation her mother called ‘a cat walking on your grave.’ For the rest of their session, Ana couldn’t look at Dr. Bescardi without thinking of a cat, it’s paws coated with cemetery dust, watching…waiting…for a chance to walk through human souls.