Chapter 24. Small World

Reid loved walking the streets of New York.

He’d never had the opportunity to be a tourist. The few times the team had visited the Big Apple, there had been no occasion to explore anything other than crime scenes and locales related to a case. As close as it was to Quantico, Reid just hadn’t managed to visit on his own time.

He enjoyed the feeling of anonymity he got from being part of the crowd. Somehow it gave him a sense of belonging. He felt the energy of the city pulsing up through the pavement and wondered if he should credit it to his new abilities, or if such a sensation was part of everyday life for native New Yorkers. Judging by the brisk pace and good-natured impatience surrounding him, the young doctor decided high energy was part of this city’s lifestyle.

He had a few hours to spare before he needed to be at NYU in Washington Square for the lecture he wanted to attend. Time enough for some limited sightseeing. Reid had read numerous reviews, articles and maps concerning attractions the city offered. His eidetic memory retrieved every detail. He estimated how long it would take to walk to each and still make it to the presentation on theoretical physics. He preferred to be a pedestrian, but, if time became an issue, cabs were more readily available here than anywhere else he’d ever been. They outnumbered other vehicles three-to-one.

Reid chose the Mid-Manhattan branch of the New York Public Library for his first destination. As an avid reader since the age of two, libraries had been the prodigy’s best friends for the greater part of his life. Visiting the iconic building with the famous stone lions flanking its broad stairs, was akin to a pilgrimage. Reid hurried. Although he wasn’t pressed for time, once he had chosen, he couldn’t wait to get there.

He walked with his head down for the last two blocks. He wanted his first impression to encompass the full impact of this impressive structure. He wanted to be standing directly in front of it for his first view. Reid wanted to be awed. He stared at the sidewalk until he estimated he had reached the midpoint of the library’s massive staircase.

Reid took a deep breath and looked up. It was magnificent. Incredible. He took in the view in its entirety and let it wash over him. Then he focused on each feature separately. When he brought his attention to bear on the stone lion to the left, his jaw dropped.

Reid had wanted to be awed. He was.

Anastasia sat on the ground, leaning back against a huge pair of stone paws. Even from a distance, her smile warmed him. Reid was rooted to the spot, unable to do anything but gape. Once again, he heard Morgan’s voice telling him to make a move…a smooth one. After a minute, when he still wasn’t in command of his motor reflexes…any move would do. Don’t stand here like an idiot…MOVE!

It didn’t matter. She came to him.

“H-how did you know…” His voice trailed off into stunned silence.

“…you’d be here?” She sounded a little amazed as well. “I didn’t. I took a chance. A hunch.”

The lecture on the theoretical physics model for the Schwarzchild wormhole wasn’t as well attended as it might have been. Spencer Reid had found something more interesting to do with his time In New York.

xxxxxxx

“Anastasia.” He said it as though he were savoring the taste.

“It’s kind of a mouthful. You can call me ‘Ana,’…if you want.”

“Ana.” He could still make it sound delectable.

“Were you headed somewhere?”

“Uh…no! No, I just wanted to…see…things…” He couldn’t seem to make complete sentences anymore.