Chapter 21. Unexpected Encounter

At the Paranormal Investigation Center, room 1106, Dr. Bescardi’s staff were ready and waiting for her prize specimen.

She wanted to make the most of this first-of-three sessions. It would last a full eight hours; well beyond closing time, but Bescardi had authorized double overtime. The doctor quivered with eagerness to examine this subject. She was making sure equipment and personnel were prepared, leaving word for the receptionist to announce Reid’s arrival without delay. Every minute was precious.

Anticipation for the star subject meant the girl in the waiting room, who had been given an appointment a week ago, was shunted to the back of the line. She’d been told to go home and reschedule, but something made her want to linger. She always heeded her hunches. They had yet to disappoint her. Plus, she wanted to see what all the excitement was about. What luminary had hijacked her spot on the calendar? She pulled a book from the satchel she always carried and took a seat opposite the entry. She had a tendency to get lost in reading material. She didn’t want that to happen. She hoped she wouldn’t miss Bescardi’s star subject if she was mere feet away and facing the entry.

xxxxxxx

When Reid opened the door to 1106, the first thing he saw was a girl. The draft created by his and Rossi’s entrance...lifted…her hair. It settled back into place almost immediately, but not before an image of bird’s wings flashed across Reid’s mind. Delicately feathered, brown wings. Lifting…then settling. He was surprised to see another patient. The girl glanced at him. Too quickly for anything to register other than the impression of…blue…sharp, alpine blue. The flash of color disappeared as she lowered her eyes, engrossed in what looked like a textbook.

Rossi bumped into the young doctor as he hesitated in the doorway.

“Kid! Warn a guy when you put on the brakes like that.” Rossi was a little grumpy about the early flight they’d had to catch. He wasn’t looking forward to sticking by Reid’s side either. He didn’t expect to be involved, so it would be a very boring day for him. The only thing he was looking forward to was a very frank discussion with Carol Bescardi. Even if he didn’t like her area of expertise or how she made Reid uneasy, Rossi liked looking at her. She was the kind of Italian woman who inspired artists and poets. At least that was true if you weren’t gifted with psychic abilities like Reid’s. Then her single-minded enthusiasm made her a little scary.

“Uh, sorry. Sorry.” Reid moved forward, catching the receptionist’s attention. Her toothy grin made him feel like a minnow being ushered into a shark’s gaping maw.

“Dr. Reid!” She rose and motioned him to enter the testing area through the inner door beside her glassed-in desk. “Dr. Bescardi is ready whenever you are.” When Rossi followed, her jovial expression faltered. “Uh, sir, may I help you?”

“Where he goes, I go.” He flashed his badge and brushed past her. If he’d had more sleep, or less wine the night before, Rossi would have been more personable. As it was, he let his jacket flap open to reveal the fact that he was armed. Unnecessary really, but when coupled with the badge, it did wonders for smoothing the way past officious underlings.

Much to the receptionist’s relief, Bescardi had been listening for the agents’ arrival. She hurried to meet them. She had accepted the conditions of Reid’s continued participation in her studies: discretion and secrecy, especially where the Bureau was concerned, a limited number of appointments with the young doctor, and the constant presence of a chaperone. In truth, she would have agreed to even more stringent restrictions to get this specimen back in her lab. Also in truth, her agile mind was turning and twisting and inspecting; trying to find a way to ensure additional access to Dr. Reid once the three sessions were up.