Chapter 27. Opportunity Knocks

Reid would always think of that tree in Central Park as his and Ana’s.

He would have been content to stay beneath it, watching the world darken and stars appear. But both of them had commitments. He had to return to Quantico. She had mentioned an appointment later in the day. They’d been holding hands, blocking out all distraction, concentrating on the complex feeling of completion. But when Reid opened his eyes and saw an elderly couple not far away collecting themselves and the remains of their lunch, he realized it was time to leave, too.

As soon as the thought crossed his mind, Ana opened her eyes. Glancing at her watch, she smiled up at him.

“I need to go.”

“I wish you didn’t.” Reid struggled to his feet, pulling her up with him. He was reluctant to release her hand.

“Well, it’s your fault in a way.” She had an almost-laugh that made her words jump and ripple. He loved the sound and rhythm of it…like words taking flight. Verbal starlings that swept and swooped and darted. He wanted them to nest in his very soul.

“My fault?”

“Uh-huh. If the great Dr. Reid hadn’t taken my appointment at the Paranormal Investigative Center yesterday, I wouldn’t have had to reschedule. I wouldn’t have to go back today.” The way Ana wrinkled her nose took any real criticism out of the words.

“That’s where you’re headed?”

“Uh-huh.”

“I’ll walk you.” He thought it would give him time to formulate a warning, a way to define the danger he felt radiating from Dr. Bescardi.

xxxxxxx

Once they left the park, the noise and frantic life crisscrossing and streaming through New York’s streets prevented Reid from making as strong an impression on Ana as he’d wanted when it came to his wariness about Bescardi.

“Be careful, Ana.” He draped a protective arm across her shoulders and wished he could cloak her in safety no matter where she went or who she encountered.

“I’ll be fine. If I think she’s getting too interested in me…I’ll just play dumb. You know… normal.”

Remembering the barrage of rapid-fire tests that he had undergone, Reid wasn’t so sure. He’d had no idea how to fake answers. And, from what he’d been told, his brain had acted almost independently of his conscious desires. He’d been revealed. He had no doubt that Bescardi’s tactics would discover the reality of Ana as well.

They were at the entrance. Together they looked at the obscure engraving on the brass plaque adorning the doorway. “Choose to lift up your eyes, from the hills to the skies.”

“What’d you think it means?” Reid had meant to ask during his last visit, but Bescardi’s single-minded ferocity about accomplishing as much as possible, as quickly as possible, had rendered the question untimely.

Ana brushed a finger across the motto. “Isn’t it obvious?” Reid smiled and shook his head, waiting for her to enlighten him. “It means to forsake the mundane. Instead of looking into the common distance, to look into the impossibly far, incomprehensible reaches that are beyond human grasp. Normal humans, anyway.”

Reid blinked. “Wow. I didn’t get that at all.”

“Well, what did you get?”

“That a scary lady who says weird things lives on the other side of this door.”

Ana punched his shoulder. “I get it, Spencer. I’ll be careful.”

“Will you call me as soon as you’re done?”

She pulled out her phone. “Give me your number. I’ll program it in as we speak.”

Reid brought out his cell, adding her contact information as well. When they were done, they faced each other. All levity, all teasing, had vanished. Reid wanted to accompany her into the lair of the paranormal dragon-lady. But he’d promised Rossi. Reid never broke promises. He took them as seriously as Ana did. Ana, who’s only made three promises that count in her entire life. And one was to me. His brief smile at the thought of his exclusivity faded when she reached for the door.

He placed his hand over hers. “Ana, I don’t want to lose you.”

“You won’t. Stop worrying.” But she could ‘see’ that he was adding more tangled threads to the already considerably knotted composition that was his psyche.

“Spencer, everything’ll be fine. I’ll call you in a few hours.” He still looked unhappy. She really didn’t want to leave him like that. “Maybe next time I can visit you in Virginia.” That did it. A grin lit up his face. Ana stored away the image of Reid’s smile, gave him one of her own and passed through the doorway of the Center.

xxxxxxx

Eleven floors up, from the window of her private office, Dr. Carol Bescardi watched the young couple walking down the street. Just another somewhat scruffy, jean-clad, long-haired duo. She mused about the differences in grooming standards between generations. At their age, she would never have set foot in public looking anything less than her best. She still wouldn’t.

She didn’t really pay attention to anything other than their attire until they stopped in front of her building. Squinting, she moved closer to the glass pane. Spencer Reid? She wasn’t sure. But when they parted, the man hitched his bag higher on his shoulder and shoved his hands in his pockets before wandering off down the block. Bescardi knew the posture, the body language. She’d observed every detail of her prize specimen while she had had him.

Her heart leapt with the hope of catching him. She was halfway down the hall, headed for the exit and the bank of elevators before better judgment prevailed. I can’t run down the street after him…not after the way Dave treated me like a greedy child in a candy shop where my work is concerned…where he is concerned.

The doctor paused, fingers wrapped around the door handle to the waiting room. She could hear the faint thrumming of an elevator. All I need is a few more hours with that boy. You’d think he, of all people would understand the importance of research. The elevator stopped. What if something happens to him? He works for the FBI, for God’s sake! The waiting room door opened. Footsteps crossed to the reception desk. Someone with that much potential to further science should be kept somewhere safe. Someone with that much to offer should realize his duty to submit himself to the acquisition of knowledge. Bescardi could see a tiny portion of the lobby through the receptionist’s window.

Her inner dialogue stopped. It was the scruffy girl from the street. The one Dr. Reid had escorted to the building’s door.

“Hi. I’m Anastasia Ashcroft. I have a 3:30 appointment?”

The rest of the conversation was lost to Dr. Bescardi. She retreated to her private office. She needed a moment to consider the opportunity that had just dropped into her lap.