Chapter 03

I woke up once again, sitting up and pushing my back against the headboard. Only, it wasn't daylight yet. It was roughly three in the morning.

I forced myself to stand, my feet landing against the cold hardwood floor. Without knowing why, I found myself walking towards my bedroom door. Carefully, I exited the room. Upon entering the usually silent and empty hallway, I began to hear voices conversing with one another.

"What do you think caused that, Mr. Stark?" An unfamiliar voice spoke as my senses heightened, wracking through my brain to match a face with the voice. But I couldn't.

"I don't know..." The voice belonged to Tony Stark. No doubt about that one.

I began stepping out of my doorway, creeping down the hall and attempting to keep my footsteps silent. Little did I know, the two individual were standing right around the corner. The young boy and I both jumped at the same time, however, Tony was unfazed due to his back facing me.

Tony turned around to see me, one of his eyebrows creeping upwards. The look on his face was far beyond disapproving, almost as if he knew I had heard something I wasn't supposed to.

"Miss Romanoff? What are you doing up at this hour?" He asked, making me sink back in my skin.

This isn't the first time Tony has caught me sneaking around the HQ. On occasion, I go exploring or get up to eat a snack. And I seem to forget that Tony Stark is an insomniac.

"Um... I couldn't sleep," I whispered, my eyes trailing back to the new human. He had light brown hair that was a sweaty mess, along with these large brown puppy eyes, that were filled to the brim with curiosity. Or, perhaps it was something else. But it was difficult to tell. I quickly looked away, knowing I'd get caught staring if I didn't.

"Right," Tony mumbled under his breath. His hair was also a disaster, making it rather obvious to me that he was under a lot of stress.

All of the Avengers seemed extremely stressed out, now that I ponder it. Everyone was on edge. And, now, I couldn't help myself from wondering why. Was it something to do with me? Or something to do with the fact that we now have a new superhero wandering around? I couldn't really tell. But it was something big.

"You go get your midnight snack and we'll be on our way," Tony spoke up as I arched an eyebrow.

"No no. Who's this? I thought strangers weren't allowed into the Avenger's HQ," I muttered, motioning to the boy that was standing back behind Tony. Tony rubbed his temples in frustration with my stubbornness, meanwhile the new boy sheepishly scratched the back of his neck.

"Right. (Y/N), this is my newest intern, Peter Parker. Peter, this is Black Widow's daughter, (Y/N) Romanoff," Tony spoke before looking back at Peter.

"She's off limits," Tony snarled. I rolled my eyes.

"Oh? Since when were you in charge of any aspect of my life?" I asked as Tony hummed in thought, yet it was in a sarcastic way.

"Since your mother told me to be," He concluded as the faintest bit of blush rose up to Peter's cheeks. But it was quickly gone again.

"You and my mother are impossible," I muttered softly. My eyes moved to Tony, who shrugged slightly. He seemed to have already been knowledgeable of this statement, however.

"Anyways, I'm going to the kitchen. See you around, Peter," I spoke with a friendly wave and a smile. He flashed me an awkward white smile, waving at me as well.

"See you, (Y/N)," He mumbled, his cheeks a soft shade of pink and his eyes locked on the hardwood floors.

I began making my way towards the kitchen.