Chapter 06

I wasn't too surprised to be grounded. Honestly, that was rather kind compared to what I believed my mother would've done if Spider-Man hadn't been there with me. Even he seemed afraid of my mother at that time.

Many think they have it bad being grounded, but they have no idea what it's like to be grounded when you live with all of the Avengers. Essentially, it means that they have to check in on me every ten minutes or so. Someone always has to be watching me at all times. And it's extremely annoying.

  Clint and Steve were rotating the first day. It wasn't that terrible, but I still yearned to be outside. I sat in my office chair, my glare fixed out the window. Though, I knew hoping wasn't going to get me anywhere. If anything, it would just leave me feeling empty and disappointed.

  My mind climbed into wondering about my old family. My birth parents. I knew very little about them. I try not to think about them. But usually, when I'm mad at my mom, I can't help but wonder what they were like. The only information I did know about them was that their names were (M/N) and (D/N). Worst yet, I didn't even know why they had given me up. I didn't even know my last name. I was only ever told Romanoff. Then again, in a legal way, that was my last name. And Natasha was my mother, no matter how upset I was with her.

However, I couldn't stop myself from questioning it. My mom wouldn't ever tell me anything about them. Almost as if it was a sore subject. Clint always explained that pressing my mom about her past wasn't good for her, but not knowing anything about my biological history ate at my insides. I had this distant desire to know who I was.

Peter Parker's words came to me in that moment. 'If she raised you, she's your mother'. Remembering that made me feel lighter. Better. Peter seemed to have said that to himself multiple times, but I wasn't yet sure why. But either way, it was helpful to me. It made that aching empty pit in my stomach go away. It made me not want to run away in search of my biological parents. Instead, it made me grateful for my real mother: Natasha Romanoff.

Natasha Romanoff, who does her best. Natasha Romanoff, who was never supposed to be a mother. Natasha Romanoff, who is a spy and an assassin. Natasha Romanoff, who put me as her first concern. Natasha Romanoff, who is my real mother. And she always would be.

  There was a gentle knock at my door, resulting in me snapping out of my trance and looking over at the source of the noise.

"Come in," I mumbled, hearing someone walk in. I spun around in my chair, expecting either Clint or Steve, but instead spotting a boy standing there. His eyes watched me cautiously, as if I was going to yell for Tony or something. Instead, I smiled, and he visibly relaxed.

"Hey, (Y/N)," Peter spoke, still standing a bit stiffly in the doorway. He was far beyond nervous, which made me extremely curious.

"A good friend of mine has informed me that you're in dire need of an escape. But only if you want to leave. He explained that you were still on the fence about leaving," He stated with an awkward smile as I arched an eyebrow at him.

"You know Spider-Man?" I asked him in a gentle voice. He met me with panicked eyes. And I was quick to take note that he didn't want to talk about this right now.

"Wait, but don't you have school today?" I asked, deciding to change the subject in order to make him feel a bit better. After all, he was risking quite a bit for me. Sneaking me out was not going to be an easy task. I was well aware of that. However, I wasn't sure if he knew that.

"Yeah. And I thought that maybe you'd like to come with me. Y'know, get out of the facility and meet some people," He explained as I felt genuine excitement flare up in my chest.