Chapter 13

• • • Peter's POV • • •

"Look, I know it sounds awful, but we need to bring him," Natasha growled as Tony shook his head.

"Absolutely not. We have no idea what his motives are and what he could possibly do to us. He's unstable and could quickly tear us apart," Tony argued, staring at Natasha with anger and disagreement.

"He could also save us. Or save (Y/N), rather," Sam input, though he seemed rather reluctant to say anything at all.

"And I'm tired of treating him like a dog. I trust him. And if Natasha wants to bring him, then I think we should trust her judgement of him," Steve expressed as I silently observed this conversation.

"And what if it doesn't work? What if he's more of a burden than any help?" Wanda asked, looking at Steve.

"Then I'll deal with it," Steve promised as Natasha looked over to me.

  Everyone shifted their attention to the man sitting on the other side of the table. He had handcuffs around his wrists, but he wasn't even attempting to fight his way out of them. His dark ratty hair was down to his shoulders and he stared at all of us with his dark and sunken eyes.

Bucky had been out helping us with the shadow people, but he had a bit of an episode. He attacked Sam and almost killed Steve, all while apologizing and being aware. However, he had no control over his actions. He had been crying in pain as well, explaining later that his head felt like it was collapsing in on itself. Either way, Bucky was not stable. And Steve was furious with Mr. Stark for putting his harmed friend in handcuffs opposed to in the hospital wing.

"Well, Barnes? Will you help us or not?" Tony seethed in an aggressive tone. Steve gave him a nasty look as the chained-up male exhaled a deep breath, looking between the two arguing men.

"I'm not sure. You guys said you have no idea what they're even doing to the poor girl. If they are messing with her memories and mental state, there's a chance that I could be of help. Otherwise, well, Miss Maximoff would be correct; bringing me would be counterproductive," Bucky whispered in a weak tone, his voice small and afraid.

"Well, he's honest. I'll give him that," Bruce muttered quietly, his eyes darting over to Tony.

Mr. Stark was definitely not convinced. Not that Bucky did much to defend his case. But he was afraid. And, to be fair, he had every right to be. Hydra has messed him up, and some parts of him would never be the same again. Deep down, however, Bucky was still a human being. And he cared for us.

"It's worth it. He's coming," Natasha hissed to Tony as I observed Bucky a bit closer.

He stared right back at me, but it felt as if I was looking at broken glass. He was broken. Shattered, even. Possibly to a point beyond repair. He'd been thrown around, beaten down, abused beyond any of our understanding; yet here he was. He still had his heart in the right place. It was just a fight for control within him.

It hurt to imagine someone doing this to (Y/N), which was what Bucky had implied. And I really hoped he was wrong.

After Natasha's exclamation, everyone set out to get ready. Steve was quick to free Bucky, helping him to his feet and beginning to lead him to the armory. Meanwhile, I followed Mr. Stark, the two of us going to get suited up in the place where he kept our equipment.

  Personally, I liked the thought of Bucky coming with us. That way, if anything too terrible had happened to her, we'd have someone who kind of knew what he was doing. And I definitely knew it made Natasha feel better, even if there was the imminent threat of Barnes turning on us and killing off all of the Avengers. Then again, there were more of us than there were of him. I'm sure Steve and Sam would be able to handle him.