#1:ABU DAHDAH: (رضي الله عنه) ;ANYTHING FOR ALLAH..

If one were to scan through the annals of history, one would find the life stories of many great personalities. Men who influenced the lives of those around them, creating a new way of thinking and in all formed new ideologies. However, most of their lives have been tainted with stories of their greed, lust and hunger for power.

As one continues to search through the books of our past, one would come to realise that the most influential people to have lived, were none other than the beloved companions of Rasulullah salla Llahu 'alayhi wa sallam. Motivated by none other than Rasulullah salla Llahu 'alayhi wa sallam himself, their lives tell a tale of honesty, trustworthiness and the ultimate in self-sacrifice. Their credibility does not need to be attested to by any person of this Ummah since Allah, who was All-Aware of their inner-selves, had confirmed their trustworthiness.

Beware of harbouring ill-feelings against any of them or uttering a word of scorn against them.Their sacrifices in building a successful community of faith are second to none. Their noble qualities and outstanding character effectively earned them the title of being the greatest group of people to have ever walked upon the face of the earth, after the ambiya' 'alayhimus salam.

This is the story of one such companion, Abu Dahdah (May Allah be pleased with him). Ibn 'Abdul Barr says, "I have not come across his name, nor his lineage, besides that he is from the Ansar, an ally of theirs." Others say that his name is Thabit. Al Baghawi sufficed on saying, "Abu al Dahdah al Ansari," without any addition. He was one of the Ansaris who accommodated the Prophet (S.A.W.), aided him and followed the light that was sent down with him.

Abu Dahdah was one of the first Companions  to lend a helping hand when the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) moved to Madinah.

He was a fearless and brave horseman who pledged into battles valiantly. Besides all these, he was quick in assisting the troubled, restituting the oppressed and provide support for the grieved. Above all, he stood on a high pedestal in the love of Allah and His Messenger. He sacrificed his wealth, and life for the sake of Allah and His Messenger SAW in one go.

There was a young orphan boy who was getting a wall built from the edge of his house to his neighbour's but there was a palm tree that was causing a halt to the construction. The wall could not be continued unless the tree was either removed or added to the child's house. The tree belong to the compnaion named Abi Lubabah RA..

The young boy (the orphan) came to the man and told him: "Give me that tree so I could construct the wall." Abi Lubabah replied: "No, it is mine." The boy then said: "You have many other palm trees and this one won't hurt you so just give it to me so my wall can be finished."Abu Lubabah refused once again. So this child went to the prophet Muhammad SAW, and he complained about his situation to him. And the prophet SAW obviously, was able to relate to him, not only because he was a prophet, but because he was also raised an orphan.

Prophet SAW softly said: "Where is Abu Lubabah? Call Abi Lubabah!" He Sallallahu Alayhi wasallam then said to him: "Give the palm tree to your brother." Abu Lubabah refused to give up his one tree, and perhaps he was so angry, he could not believe that this young boy actually took the matter to the prophet SAW because of his palm tree, so he was angered enough to refuse to give it to him. He told the prophet: "Oh prophet of Allah! I am not giving it to him the tree is mine,it's my haqq."

Hearing this, tears started flowing from the eyes of the young boy. Prophet ( SallAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam ) then said:

"Give him a branch from this tree and you will have a tree in Jannah" Abu Lubabah said: "I don't want it," he was so mad he refused the prophet's offer and then left.

And obviously the prophet SAW could not use his authority as the messenger of Allah over him because after all it is the man's property, and what more can you do after you've enticed a man with jannah, in exchange of a tree?.

But among the sahabah who were at that gathering was the great companion Abu Dahdah, and he was famous for one thing and one thing only, at least at that time.
He was famous for his enormous orchard which was filled with date trees, some narrations mention there were 400 trees whilst others said it had 600, and his house was a beautiful house which was built inside it.

When Abu Dahdah saw the boy crying, he went close to the Prophet ( Saw) and said: "Oh Messenger of Allah, If I purchase the same tree, will I get the same offer?" Prophet SAW gave him the approval and said: "Yes"

Abu Dahdah when he saw the equation in front of him, and he saw that the end result was paradise, he ran after the man who owned the palm tree and said: "O brother! Do you know about my orchard?" and the man answered: "Is there anybody in Madina who doesn't know your orchard." That's how popular and great the orchard was in Madina, everybody knew it. So Abu Dahdah told him: "It is yours for that tree!"

Abu Lubabah turned around and said: "Are you out of your mind?" Aba Dahdah replied: "No, it is yours and O' people be witness!" It was an offer no one could refuse.

Then he went where Prophet ( Saw ) and the boy were and said to him: " O' boy, that tree is yours!" Then he turned to the prophet SAW and said, "Oh prophet of Allah, is there a palm tree for me right now in Jannah?" and the prophet SAW said, " How many of these palm trees are right now in Jannah for Abu Dahdah"
The narrator continued saying , the prophet didn't repeat it once or twice, he kept repeating it until Abu Dahdah, got up and left that gathering.

Then Abu Dahdah raced home, and narrations mention that he did not enter his garden, he called his wife from outside, why did he not enter? Because he did not want his heart to be reminded of all it memories, and how beautiful it was, so much so that he'd back off from the deal.

His wife came out, and she asked why she was called, so Abu Dahdah told her he sold everything. "Sold to who?" she asked, "I have sold it for a palm a tree in paradise", he said.

What was her reaction to this? Keep in mind, this entire family can go homeless, Abu Dahdah has no other possessions! So how does she respond? Does she complain about where they are going to live? Does she complain about the provision or the money that they have lost or ask for the details how did he exchange 500 trees for 1?. Instead of being frustrated or anxious she said "Allah Akbar! what a great deal, oh Abu Dahdah!"

Then Umm Dahdah ( RA) got their children out of the orchard. They were carrying some dates, she got hold of their hands, opened them and threw the dates back into the orchard and said: "They are for Allah my child."

And thus, Abu Dahdah ( Ra) sold off his 400 trees plus his home for a tree in Jannah.

This is how the righteous before us felt that paradise was close, this is how they sacrificed anything in order to do something for sake of Allah.

Upon all he did, On the Day of Uhud, When Companions of Allah's Messenger were caught off guard by a surprise attack from the mountain pass. When Muslims were in chaos, Abu Dahdah was one of the few who remained steadfast. That day he fought valiantly to repel the unbelievers' attack. He was heavily outnumbered by enemy forces but kept on fighting till he was martyred.

As the battle came to an end, the prophet SAW was passing by the bodies of the martyrs, whose bodies were on the ground but whose spirits traveled in the high realms. His heart was full of grief. If he had not had the comfort provided by belief in qadar, the scene could not have been observed. He had lost his most distinguished Companions. The Qurayshi polytheists had treated the martyrs wildly. They had torn most of them into pieces; some of them could not be recognized and who did he found???, He found Abu Dahdah (ra)  martyred !!!, The messenger of Allah (saw) knelled down and he looked at him and said,

"how many TREES now, oh Abu Dahdah, for you in jannah".

Allah say in the quran:
"Who will lend a handsome loan to Allah so that He may double it for him? And for such is an honourable reward"
57:11 (Sura: 57, Verse: 11)

What did Abu Dahdah lose? Dates? Bushes? Dirt? What did he gain? He gained a Jannah whose expanse is the heavens and the earth....

Subhan'Allah, how beautiful is this story, of one Sahabi who gave up everything he had, just to have one palm tree in Jannah. Allahu Akbar...

I hope this was beneficial, may Allah forgive us All....

Hope you enjoy the story
Dont forget to comment and vote..
Stay tune for more stories
Ramadan kareem...