#8:;JULAYBIIB: (رضي الله عنه) THE UNLIKELY SAHABI

There are many outstanding Companions of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) who come to mind throughout Islamic history. Some are huge in stature, and others are humble, yet highly respectable or brilliant in some way. Julaybib (may Allah be pleased with him) was a beloved Companion of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). However, he is not a likely figure to make it in the ranks of celebrated heroes of Islam.

Julaybib's life and deeds were not sung nor recounted with reverence as they should be. However, by considering the meager facts available about him, one can see hope for many humble souls.

His story is significant and many lessons can be learnt from it. It shows us a lot about how a human being can be devalued based on superficial things. His life is an example and hope for souls filled with despondency because they do not measure up to the norms set by society. His story touches the hearts of many, even today.

Julaybiib RA was one of the less known companions of Muhammad SAW in the early Muslim community. His name was acquired prior to his acceptance of Islam and is considered unusual and incomplete. Before the advent of Islam, he was not known to be a gallant warrior on the battlefield. His personal attributes appeared so contrary to the normal heroes of old.

In the Arabic language Julaybib means "small grown" being the diminutive form of the word jalbab, indicating that Julaybib was small and short, even dwarf-like. He was also described as being damim , meaning ugly, deformed, or repulsive. He was brutally rejected by society, because people at that time were more concerned with physical appearance and status than with integrity.

In addition to his physical appearance, another important factor in the mistreatment Julaybib received had to do with his lineage.

Lineage was an essential part in the Arab society he lived in, just as it is still important today in many cases. One's lineage determined one's status in the society. His physical appearance and unknown lineage made people shun and spurn him. He was an outcast, which caused him much public humiliation and disgrace. Facing such disdainful treatment, Julaybib was apparently a lonely soul yearning for love and compassion. As he was carrying the burden of prejudice on his shoulder from the time he was born, companionship, love, and compassion became alien to him.

Julaybib could not expect any compassion or help, any protection or support from a society that placed a great deal of importance on family and tribal connections. In this regard, all that was known of him was that he was an Arab and that, as far as the new community of Islam was concerned, he was one of the Ansar. Perhaps he belonged to one of the outlying tribes beyond Madinah and had drifted into the city or he could even have been from among the Ansar of the city itself.

He survived as best he could in the lonely night in Madinah. He spent wondering the streets in despair, tears of desperation would run down his cheeks, there was no one willing to offer him love or compassion, he had no family and not a single friend in the world.Life for him was a lonely struggle.

The disabilities under which Julaybib RA lived would have been enough to have him ridiculed and shunned in any society and in fact he was prohibited by one person, a certain Abu Barzah of the Aslam tribe, from entering his home. He once told his wife:
"Do not let Julaybib enter among you. If he does, I shall certainly do (something terrible to him)."

Was there any hope of Julaybib being treated with respect and consideration? Was there any hope of his finding emotional satisfaction as an individual and as a man? Was there any hope of his enjoying the relationships which others take for granted?

After the arrival of the Prophet of ALLAH SAW to Madinah,he used to go and sit in the company of the Prophet SAW and listen intently, rarely speaking .He would out of shyness keep his gaze lowered. He became a devoted servant of Almighty Allah and beloved Companion of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). He gained respect and affection from the noble Prophet for his sincerity, integrity, and strong belief.