#2:;HANZALA;( (رضي الله عنه) THE ONE BATHED BY THE ANGELS

In the world of Islam, the Sahabah are granted the highest esteem and this extraordinary deep respect for them is on account of the honour of being the close companions of The Messenger of Allah salla Llahu 'alayhi wa sallam. Honouring them is in reality honouring the leader of the world, The Messenger of Allah salla Llahu 'alayhi wa sallam.

The Sahabah served as a source of knowledge for the early Muslims, and exemplified many important values that we should hope to emulate. The Sirah of the Prophet and the lives of his Companions are not merely historical texts. They are living examples whose teaching we must extract and implement in our own lives. The Sahabas loved Allah and the Prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) so dearly that they were prepared to sacrifice anything for their Deen. Their tales of courage, glory, suffering and victory has been lauded by scholars throughout history.

Let us now revolves around a great Sahabi, a forerunner in good actions and obedience. He was a sincere and devoted youth of the Muslim community. His name was Hanzalah Ibn Abi Amir [May Allah be pleased with him]. He was one of the notables of the Aws tribe. He was very strong and clever; he had high ethics.  A young man who gave up the pleasures and comforts of his newly married life and departed for the battlefield to fight in the cause of Allah.

Hanzala Ibn Abi Amir became a Muslim after the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) came to Madinah. He was the son of Abu Aamir Rahib, who was a Mushrik (non-believer). When the Prophet came to Madinah, his father went to Makkah and joined the polytheists. During the Holy wars Hanzalah fought for the Muslims and his father fought for the non-believers.

When his father joined Makkan polytheists with a group of fifty people from his tribe and formed a front against the Messenger of Allah (pbuh), he was given the nickname fasiq.

Hanzala (r.a.) was known as "Taqi" (pious) among his friends. He was always together with the Messenger of Allah. He took part in the Battles of Badr and Uhud; he fought heroically. He was single when he took part in the Battle of Badr. A little while after this battle, he got engaged to Abdullah Ibn Ubayy Ibn Salul's daughter, Jamila, who became a Muslim. Their marriage took place one day before the Battle of Uhud. On the night of the marriage, the Messenger of Allah and his Companions were going to set off to go to Uhud. He asked permission from the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) to spend the night at home. The prophet gave him the permission.

Hanzala, who had just got married, spent the night with his wife. He left home early in the morning and caught up with the Prophet at Uhud. When the Prophet arranged the ranks for the battle, he joined the Companions.

During the battle of Uhud, Hazrat Hanzala (R.A) fought with such spirit that he was able to pass through the barrage of soldiers and ultimately reached the Mushrikeen's leader, Abu Sufyaan (who later accepted Islam).

He slashed at the legs of Abu Sufyan's mount (horse). With legs severed, the horse came to the ground bringing Abu Sufyan down. He swiped to attack him and was close in doing so, until he was intercepted by Shadaad bin Aswad, who attacked Hazrat Hanzala (R.A) from behind, thus making Hanzala Shaheed (Martyr).

Abu Sufyan, who organized the expedition of Uhud in order to take the revenge of the Battle of Badr, accepted the death of Hanzala in return for the death of his son, Hanzala, in the Battle of Badr. He regarded him to have been killed for his son. The polytheists started to cut off the organs of the martyrs with the feeling of revenge. Hanzala's father Abu Amir, who was a polytheist, prevented his dead body from being harmed.

During this battle many Sahabah were Martyred. Holy Prophet (S.A.W) instructed the Martyrs to be buried still covered with blood, in the condition that they had fallen.

As the blessed Sahabah (R.A) retrieved the bodies of their Martyred brothers, they came upon the body of Hazrat Hanzala (R.A) above the earth with water dripping from it. Seeing this, the Companions of the Prophet (S.A.W) reported the event to Him, He (S.A.W) exclaimed that He had seen the Angels give him a bath in between heavens and the earth with fresh rainwater kept in a silver tray.

Hazrat Abu Saeed Al-Saady (R.A) states, "When we went to his corpse and we witnessed the water dropping down from his head. It was a curious event, for the Martyrs are buried un-bathed. Then why did the Angels gave bath to Hanzala?"

After this incident, he was called "Ghasilu'l-malaika = the person who was washed by angels". The tribe of Aws took pride in him saying, "Hanzala, who was washed by angels, is from our tribe."

The Sahabah asked Hazrate Jamila r.a (wife of Hazrat Hanzla r.a and the sister of Hazrat Abdullah Ibn Abdallah ibn Ubayye r.a) concerning the state of her husband prior to battle. As she (r.a) started to explain, it soon dawned upon them that the last night was her wedding night. Early in the morning without having the time for his purification bath (Ghusl) he left for the battlefield for he did not like delay in obedience of the Prophet (S.A.W) .

After her husband went to Jihad, she (R.A) called Hazrat Hanzla (R.A)'s family members and made four of them witness to the actualization of her wedding, just to stop story makers from fabrication of any sort. The elders of her family asked her as to why she had adopted this formality, she replied, she saw the sky open to Hanzala and it shut again after he had entered into it. She was referring to the Martyrdom of Hanzala by the dream.

Allah (S.W.T) bestowed her with a son, who was named Abdullah. He was the one who commanded the army when inhabitants of Madina commenced mutiny against Yazid bin Mauwiyah.

How many of us can leave the enjoyment with ones newly wedded bride for the cause of Allah. Can we at least adopt a bit of the zeal of these great companion of the Prophet Mohammad May Allah's peace and blessings be upon him?.

This was the fate of the sahaba.They fought for the sake of Allah and left behind everything even their newly wed wives....

Islam came from far and many people sacrificed their lives for us to enjoy this Religion....

Dont forget to comment, vote and share....