#27:;HABIB IBN ZAYD AL-ANSAR (رضي الله عنه)

It cannot be denied that the Companions of the Prophet (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) contributed immensely to the development of Islam. Their sacrifices in building a successful community of faith are second to none. Their noble character, in emulating the life of the beloved Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. serve as a paragon of virtues for the inheritors of Prophetic message.

No other generation of Muslims has received the attention that the Companions of the Prophet have. The Companions constituted what is believed to have been the best society ever to have existed in the history of Islam, such that whatever they said or did was worthy of observation and emulation by all Muslims.

Today's story is about a brave young Sahabah from a courageous family who his mother was an exceptional woman. Enjoy and I hope we benefit from it. Let us follow this awesome story from the beginning.

Habib ibn Zaid Al-Ansar (ra) grew up in a home filled with the fragrance of iman, and in a family where everyone was imbued with the spirit of sacrifice.

He is the son of Zaid Ibn Asim (ra) and his mother is the well-known lioness of Uhud Nusaibah bint Ka'ab (ra).
His father, Zaid ibn Asim (ra), was one of the first in Madinah to accept Islam and his mother, the celebrated Nusaibah bint Ka'ab (ra) known as Umm Ammarah, was the first woman to bear arms in defense of Islam and in support of the blessed Prophet.

Habib ibn Zaid, still at a tender age, was privileged to go with his mother, father, maternal aunt and brother to Makkah with the pioneering group of seventy-five who pledged fealty to Rasulullah SAW at Aqabah in Mina and played a decisive role in shaping the early history of Islam.

At Aqabah, in the darkness of the night, the young Habib ibn Zaid stretched out his small hand and pledged loyalty to Rasulullah SAW. From that day, Rasulullah SAW became dearer to Habib ibn Zaid than his own mother or father and Islam became more important to him than any care for his personal safety.

He did not participate in the battle of Badr or the battle of Uhud because he was considered too young to bear arms. Thereafter, however, he took part in all the engagements which Rasulullah SAW fought, and in all Habib ibn Zaid distinguished himself by his bravery and willingness to sacrifice. Although each of these battles had its own importance and was demanding in its own way, they served to prepare Habib ibn Zaid for what was to prove the most terrible encounter of his life, the violence of which is profoundly soul-shaking.

By the ninth year after the Hijrah, Islam had spread widely and had become the dominant force in the Arabian peninsula. Delegations of tribes from all over the land came to Makkah to meet the Messenger of God, peace be upon him, and announce before him, their acceptance of Islam.

Among these delegations was one from the highlands of Najd, from the Banu Hanilab. At the outskirts of Makkah, the members of the delegation tethered their mounts and appointed Musaylamah ibn Habib as their spokesman and representative. Musaylamah went to the Prophet, peace be upon him, and announced his people's acceptance of Islam. The Prophet welcomed them and treated them most generously. Each, including Musaylamah, was presented with a gift.

On his return to Najd the ambitious and self-seeking Musaylamah recanted and gave up his allegiance to the Prophet. He stood among the people and proclaimed that a prophet had been sent by God to the Banu Hanifah just as God had sent Muhammad ibn Abdullah to the Quraysh.

For various reasons and under a variety of pressures, the Banu Hanilab began to rally around him. Most followed him out of tribal loyalty.Indeed one member of the tribe declared:

"I testify that Muhammad is indeed truthful and that Musaylamah is indeed an imposter. But the imposter of Rabiah (the tribal confederation to which the Banu Hanilab belonged) is dearer to me that the genuine and truthful person from Mudar (the tribal confederation to which the Quraysh belonged)."