#16:UMM HARAM BINT MILHAN; (رضي الله عنه)

Um Haram bint Milhan was an Ansari woman (from Madinah) and she was the sister of Um Sulaym, the mother of Anas ibn Malik. She was of the Ansar who embraced Islam before Hijra.

Um Haram was first married to Amr ibn Qias bin Zaid with whom she had a son named Qais. Here husband and her son took part in the battle of Uhud and the battle of Badr and were both martyred. She later married Ubadah ibn AsSamit who was the chief of his clan and known for his bravery and military skill. He was one of the first Ansari men to participate in the Pledge of Aqaba.

He was one of the heroes of the War of Apostasy and a martyr of the Battle of Yarmouk.

Ubadah also participated in the Battle of Badr and every battle and campaign with the Prophet ﷺ before and after Hijra. He was a great husband and father and cared for Um Haram's sons from her first marriage in the same way he cared for his own children.

Um Haram and Ubadah lived on a large, beautiful date palm plantation in the city of Quba, which was right outside of Madinah. This was the city that the Prophet ﷺ stopped by on his hijra (migration) to Madinah for the first time. It became special to him and he would often visit it often.

When he did so, one of the houses that he always stopped by and often napped in was Um Haram's. The first time he went was to console Um Haram and Um Sulaym on the loss of their brothers, who died for the cause of Islam.

I think it it is necessary to mention the story of the martyrdom of their brother, Haram ibn Mi1han (RA). For, this event indicates the great extent to which Eeman had reached in the hearts of each member of his noble household. Haram set out with the delegates of reciters who were treacherously killed by 'Amir ibn at-Tufayl on the day of Bi'r Ma' oonah. These reciters were seventy in number, and they were all surrounded and killed. They were among the greatest Companions of the Prophet in terms of knowledge and piety. Their martyrdom had caused the Messenger of Allah (SAW) great sorrow.

Haram's martyrdom on that day is the highest example for the earlier and later generations! When he was struck by swords and spears, he screamed as loud as he could, "I won, by the Lord of the Ka'bah!" It is as he was undergoing a very difficult test, or he was in a market in which he was selling and purchasing. Then he saw himself as making profits. When some of the polytheists asked one another as regards what Haram meant with his proclamation, 'I won', while he was dying someone answered, "He meant Paradise." This is a magnificent extent to which the Eeman of the household of Mi1han had reached!

Then he started to make a point to visit them more often and Um Malhan used to serve the Prophet ﷺ his favorite foods and he would take naps in a special area they had made just for him.

The Ansar (people of Madinah) are known for their hospitality, generosity and sacrifice. There is even a verse in the Quran that talks about this:

{And those who, before them (emigrants), had homes (in Madinah) and had adopted the Faith, love those who emigrate to them, and have no jealousy in their breasts for that which they have been given, and give them (emigrants) preference over themselves even though they were in need of that. And whosoever is saved from his own covetousness, such are they who will be successful} (Quran 59:9)

One day, the Prophet ﷺ was taking a nap in Um Haram's home and she saw him wake up smiling.

Um Haram asked him what was making him smile and he replied,

"Some people among my followers were shown to me, sailing over the green sea like kings over their thrones."

Um Haram then pleaded to the Prophet ﷺ , "O Messenger of Allah, invoke Allah that He makes me one of them." The Prophet ﷺ then went back to sleep and woke up again smiling.