#23:;UTHMAN BIN AFFAN: (رضي الله عنه) :THE CALIPHATE OF UTHMAN

He was a great man. His legacy is not mentioned as often as some of the other companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him) such as Abu Bakr and Umar bin Al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with them all), but his legacy was no less stellar than theirs and he was, in all that the word entails, a true hero of Islam.

The first two Rightly Guided Caliphs left large shoes to fill, and historical accounts of them tend to overshadow the achievements of their successors. Yet, the exemplary life of Uthman ibn Affan is one to be emulated, for he is one of the ten Companions who has been promised Paradise. Of him, the Prophet SAW said "Every prophet has a companion in paradise. My companion there is Uthman."

His charitable acts and modesty earned him prominence in the early Islamic community, and he was among the favorite and most loyal companions of Prophet Muhammad. Throughout his life he was known as a kind, generous man and even before his reversion to Islam he would freely give money to help those in need.

Uthman was born in 576/583 CE in Taif, a resort Arabian town in the Hejaz region,to Affan ibn Abi al-'As, a successful merchant of the Umayyad, and to Arwa bint Kurayz, of the Abdshams, both wealthy clans of the Quraysh tribe in Mecca. Arwa's mother was Umm Hakim bint Abdul Muttalib, making Arwa the first cousin of Muhammad SAW and Uthman his first cousin's son. Uthman was well educated and soon found himself in his father's position who had passed away, leaving Uthman with a large inheritance. He became a merchant like his father, and his business flourished, making him one of the richest men in Mecca. He is listed as one of the 22 Meccans "at the dawn of Islam" who knew how to write.

When the Prophet SAW declared his mission, a mutual friend, Abu Bakr persuaded Uthman to accept Islam in 611 CE, making him one of the early followers to do so.His conversion to Islam angered his clan,the Banu Ummayyah, who strongly opposed Muhammad's teachings.

Uthman married Ruqayyah, the daughter of the Prophet (prayers and peace be upon him), The couple had one son, who died at the age of six.

Allah's decree that all are to be tested is applied constantly to individuals, communities, peoples and nations. This applied to the Companions too, and they underwent trials and tribulations that would shake the foundation of lofty mountains. They spent their wealth and shed their blood for the sake of Allah, and this suffering became as severe as Allah willed that it should. The prominent Muslims were not spared these trials.

Uthman was persecuted and tortured for the sake of Allah at the hands of his
paternal uncle al-Hakam ibn Abi'l-'Aas.
The persecution intensified and affected all the Muslims, the Prophet (prayers and peace be upon him) was deeply grieved, and wondered where could the Muslims go?.

Then the Messenger of Allah (prayers and peace be upon him) thought of Abyssinia (Ethiopia) and said to the Muslims: "Why don't you go to Abyssinia, for in (that land) there is a righteous king in whose land no one is wronged." Among those who migrated during the first and second migration to Abyssinia was Uthman ibn Affan, and on both occasions he was accompanied by his wife Ruqayyah, the daughter of the Messenger of Allah (prayers and peace be upon him). They arrived in Abyssinia in Rajab in the fifth year after the Prophet's mission began, and they found safety, security and freedom of worship.

The Qur'an speaks of the migration of the early Muslims to Abyssinia, as Allah says:
"And as for those who emigrated for the Cause of Allah, after they had been wronged, We shall certainly give them goodly residence in this world, but indeed the reward of the Hereafter will be greater; if they but knew!"(Al-Nahl 16:41).

After four years, the news spread among the Muslims in Abyssinia that the Quraysh of Mecca had accepted Islam, and this acceptance persuaded Uthman, Ruqayya and other Muslims to return. However, when they reached Mecca, they found that the news about the Quraysh's acceptance of Islam was false. Nevertheless, Uthman and Ruqayya re-settled in Mecca. Uthman had to start his business afresh, but the contacts that he had already established in Abyssinia worked in his favour and his business prospered once again.