I Wish Your Dad Were Good

JD's POV

I saw the doorknob turning quickly. There was no time to hide. He would find us even if we did. Veronica in her wheelchair would stick out like a sore thumb. My dad opens the door and smiles when he sees me. "Hello, son." He says. Then he looks down at Veronica and simply laughs. "If you would kindly move aside so I can get Veronica into the car." I say as politely as I could. "No." He stands in front of the door. I heard my mom run down the stairs. "Jill? Didn't think you'd come back." He laughs. "Dad, please." I beg. "Oh! Please? That's a first." He loudly chuckles. "Dad! Move! I won't ask again!" I yell. "You really want to mess with me!" He yells back. "Move!" I scream. "No!" He runs at me and pins me against the wall.

"No!" I hear Veronica scream. He grabs my head and slams it against the wall. "Mike!" My mom tries to pry him off of me, but he pushes her to the ground. I keep hitting him. "Stop!" He yells. He lets go to slug me and I see my opportunity. I shove him off of me. The mistake I made was not realizing how drunk he actually was. After I pushed him, he stumbled backwards, slamming his head on the glass vase we had on the table. Oh God.

Veronica's POV

Mr Dean slumped to the ground, a heavy flow of blood coming from the side of his head. But I was more concerned with JD. He had a dazed look on his face. He slid down the wall and into a ball. I wheel myself over to him and hold his face in my hands. "It's okay." I whisper. Jill was calling 911. His dad had won once again. He got his son to kill him and feel broken. I slowly got out of my wheelchair and onto the ground with him. "It's okay. It's okay." I quietly repeat to him.

Soon the sounds of sirens off in the distance filled my ears. People were storming into the house. Paramedics putting JD's dad on a streacher, policemen taking Jill's statement, me still holding JD. "Miss, can we ask you some questions?" A policeman stands at my at my feet. I nod. I let go of JD and hop in my wheelchair, rolling to follow the man into the room down the hall.

"So, what happened?" He asks, opening a small notepad. "We came back here to get some stuff and my boyfriend's dad came home. We were trying to leave but he wouldn't let us by. My boyfriend yelled for him to move and his dad attacked him. Then he pushed him as an act of self-defense, but didn't know he was drunk. So he fell back and hit his head on the a glass vase at the end of the table." I explain. "Okay, can you tell me your name?" He asks, writing down my statement. "Veronica. Sawyer." I tell him. "Boyfriend's name?" He continues writing. "Jason Dean." Would JD go to jail for this? God, please don't make him. "You can go, miss."

I wheel myself out and see JD sitting on the couch, finishing up his statement. After he's done, he walks over to me. "Hey." He says lightly. "Hey, I'm sorry." I touch his arm. "It's fine." He pulls away. "They uh, said I'll most likely have to go to court." He looks at his feet. No! "Well, whatever happens, just know I'll stand by you." I say. "Thanks." He gets down on his knees and takes his hands. "I'm sorry you had to see that." He says. "No, don't apologize. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I just-" I stop myself before I say it. "You just what?" He pushes. "I just... I wish your dad were good. You wouldn't have had to do that if he were." I tell him. "Me too Ronnie. Me too." He gets up and goes upstairs.

"Hey, do you want me to take you home?" Jill asks. "No, I think I want to stay here if that's okay." I say. "Of course. I'll go get your stuff from the car." She says. "And I can get Jason to help you upstairs." She offers. "No, I think it's easier if I just sleep on the couch." I say. "But-" She tries but I stop her. "No. It's fine. JD needs to be alone right now." I assure her. "You are so amazing." She pats my shoulder and goes to the car. I wheel over to the couch and push myself onto it.

JD didn't come out of his room for dinner so Jill had to bring his food to the door. I ate on the couch because it would be hard to move to the dining room. After dinner, Jill was exhausted so she went to bed. I was left downstairs with nothing to do.