My Candy Store

January 4th, 1990

Veronica's POV

Today was our first day back at school after winter break. Yay! Only half a year left of this hell. We were walking into school and saw Heather Chandler and Heather Duke. I was surprised that McNamara wasn't with them. We ignore them and go to my locker. "See you at lunch." I tell him. We kiss and I go to homeroom. "Morning." Chandler says the moment I enter the classroom. I don't say anything and sit down. "Hello?" She gets up. I continue to ignore her, opening my diary and start an entry. "I'm talking to you." She pushes my desk deeper into my chest. I roll my eyes and continue writing.

Before I can stop her, she snatches it out of my hands. "'Dear diary, I am so not excited to be back in Hell. JD told me we could skip lunch which is always enjoyable.'" She reads "Wow. You really are a slut." She laughs. "At least I only do it with one guy." I shoot back. "Man, I keep forgetting she grew claws. My  mind always goes during breaks." She says to Duke. "When will you leave me alone?" I ask, annoyed. "Never. You had your chance to be in my candy store. And you blew it, honey." She laughs. "See ya." She says as the bell rings.

At lunch, I meet JD at the spot. This time we met in the hallway to avoid a repeat of last time. "She's so annoying. I now get why her color is red. She's the Earth equivalent of Satan." I complain as we walk. "I know." He sits on the bench. "You gotta stop letting her get to you." He says, moving a hair out of my eyes as I sit beside him. "Trust me, I'm working on it." I reply. "Right now, let's just forget about the Heathers, and focus on each other." He pulls me into his lap. "That sounds amazing." I nuzzle against him.

A few minutes until the end of lunch, we walk to my locker. "So I have some stuff to do after school, so you can just go home. I'll walk when I'm done." I tell him. "No. I'll stay here." He argues. "JD." I sigh. "Ronnie." He mocks me, genuinely. "Do you not trust me?" I put my hands on my hips. "It's not that I don't trust you, I don't trust others. Last time I left you alone, you were almost killed. I'm not leaving you here." He says. "JD I'll be fine." I assure him. "Veronica, no. Chandler's mad enough you didn't do what she said. I'm not gonna give her another opportunity to hurt you." He says. "Fine." I give up. "Cool." He kisses my cheek and walks off.

After school, I go to the yearbook room. Peter needed help with some layout, so I offered to help. He was one of the few that didn't believe the rumors that I cheated on JD. "Thanks by the way." He says. "You're welcome. I'm happy to help." I say. I start looking at the pictures on the table. They were the club photos. He stands beside me, clearly frustrated with his lack of progress. "So what do you think?" He asks. "Um... they're great pictures. I think we should pu-" I'm interrupted by someone at the door. "God, I don't get why you haven't dumped him." Heather Duke stands in the doorway. Holding what I can only assume is coffee. "What?" She laughs. "I don't get why you're still dating that pathetic psycho if you're just going to flirt with every guy you talk to." She says. "Excuse me, she's actually helping me. Which is more than I can say about you miss "head of yearbook commitee." Peter shoots. "I went to get us coffee. You're welcome." She shakes the coffee. "I didn't ask for it." Peter turns back to the pictures. "You were saying?" I look back. "Um... So I think the Arts, like band and choir, should be close together." I finish. Duke scoffs. "Shut up Heather." Peter says without even looking at her.

We get most of the layout organized when I glance at the clock. "Oh I should probably go. JD's waiting." I tell Peter. "Bye. Thanks for your help." He calls. "Say hi to your psycho for me!" Duke laughs. I roll my eyes and head out to the parking lot where JD is waiting inside the car. "Hey." I say as I get in. "Hey, you get your stuff done?" He asks. "Yeah. Peter and I got most of the club pictures done." I then realize I left my bag in yearbook. "Wait. I forgot my bag." I tell him. "Okay." He says. "Be right back."

I rush back to yearbook. Peter must have left because all his stuff was gone. I see my bag on the stool beside the one I was sitting on. I begin to grab it when I hear people come in. "Veronica." Heather Chandler's voice sneers. I turn to see Chandler, Duke, and Kurt and Ram. "Why are you guys here?" I ask. "To finish what Kurt and Ram started." She smiles. "No. That's not happening." I try to get as far away from them as possible. Ram gets me trapped in the corner of the room. I saw an opportunity and went for it. I kneed him right in his sensitive spot. "You little-" He falls to the ground. I duck under him and run but am caught by Kurt, who punches me right in the face. I fall on my back, pain rushing through my head. I try to get up, but Kurt presses his foot down on my chest. He then picks me up by the hair and slams me against the wall. "Welcome to my candy store." Chandler slyly whispers before punching me. I slump to the ground, feeling nothing but pain and more pain. I could see everything.

"Ronnie?" I hear called from the hallway. I hear Chandler curse under her breath. She rushes everyone through the side door. "Ronnie!" I hear a familiar voice exclaim. I felt myself being lifted from the ground, my head still pounding. Next thing I know, I'm in the car. "Who did this?" I hear JD ask, even though he knew I wouldn't be able to answer in my state. He was either taking me to the hospital or home. Either way, I want this freaking headache to stop. I knew he had taken me to the hospital when he opened the door. "C'mon." JD says, lifting me out of the car. The nurses obviously recognize him. "What happened?" One asks. "I don't know. I found her like this." He says. I feel myself being transferred to a stretcher.

JD's POV

I watch Veronica get wheeled away. I glanced at the phone attached to the wall. No. I should pick her up. I run to my car, rushing back to the house. I honk the horn. We didn't have time for me to knock on the door. My mom comes out and sees me. "What's wrong?" She asks, approaching the car. "Get in, I'll explain on the way." I tell her. She does as I say and I drive off. "Honey, what is it?" She asks me, wanting a legitimate answer. "Veronica's in the hospital again." I explain. "What?" She gasps. "I know."

I get to the hospital and we go in. "Hi, do you know anything about a patient here? Veronica Sawyer?" I ask the receptionist. "Room 120." She tells me. "Thanks." I don't waste any time finding her room. The doctor stood at the door, talking to who I'm guessing is Veronica's nurse. "Hi, who are you?" The doctor asks me. "I'm Veronica's boyfriend." I tell him. "What's wrong with her?" I ask immediately after I told him who I was. "She has a concussion. She also received about 2 blows to the face." He explains. "Oh God." I couldn't believe I'd let this happen a second time. "C-can I stay in there with her?" I daringly ask. "Of course." He could hear the desperation in my voice.

I nod and walk into the room. It was quiet other than the beeping from the heart monitor. "JD?" I hear Veronica ask after a few hours. I get up from my chair and kneel beside the bed. "What're you doing here?" She looked almost drunk. They probably had her on pain medication. "I'm here for you. I found you in the yearbook room." I tell her. "I don't remember much." She puts her hand to her head. "What do you remember?" I knew I shouldn't be pushing but I really needed to know. "Um... I went to get my stuff from yearbook and the Heathers and Kurt and Ram cornered me. I fought as best as I could but they fought harder." She had tears in her eyes. "Shh. It's okay." I take her hand and make circles on it with my thumb. I just want to keep her safe. But I might not be good enough.