They'll Hunt Me Down in Study Hall

Veronica's POV

Dear Diary,

So it's Sunday night. Tomorrow is the end of my social life. Sure, I have JD. And Heather. And Martha. But to anyone else, I'm socially dead. JD says I'll be fine but I don't believe it. I'm trying to prepare myself. Probably they'll hunt me down in study hall. Then they'll stuff and mount me on the wall like I'm a deer or moose head or something. Okay, I'm kidding. But honestly I wouldn't be surprised. My school is like the freaking thunderdome. Everyday I fight the urge to strike a match and set that dump ablaze. I can't wait to leave Westerburg and Sherwood. College will be paradise. If I'm not dead by June.

That place sucks. I've known most of these kids all my life and sometimes I'll look around and ask myself: "What happened?" Most guys there are high school has-beens waiting to happen. They're future gas station attendants.

Like Ram Sweeney. He's spent 3 years as the linebacker and 8 years smacking lunch trays and being a huge dick. Then there's Kurt Kelly. He's the smartest guy on the football team. Which is kind of like being the tallest dwarf.

Then the girls at school are like being in the safari. Animals ripping each other apart. Only they rip each other apart psychologically. Like the Heathers.

There's Heather McNamara. Sure she isn't a part of the group now but she was. But her dad is loaded. He sells engagement rings. Heather Duke runs the yearbook. She has no discernible personality. Her mom did pay for implants though. And Heather Chandler of course. She's an almighty, mythic bitch. The two remaining are solid Teflon. Until JD and I messed with them, they were never bothered or harassed. I would still give anything to be like that.

Well that's all about my sad life for now. I'm ready to face hell tomorrow.

Sincerely, Veronica.

I remove my monocle and lay down. JD lays beside me after a while. "Ronnie, you're going to be fine." He assures me. "Whatever." I sigh, rolling over and falling asleep.

I wake up, dreading everything. I waste as much time as possible, wanting to get there late enough to miss homeroom but still keep my 4 point GPA. JD finally steps in and practically drags me to school. I wear sunglasses, so no one can see my full face and I can't see them staring. JD guides me inside and to my homeroom. "Who's is your homeroom besides the Heathers?" He asks. "Peter and Dennis." I answer. "Where do they sit?" He continues. "In the back." I sigh, knowing what he's telling me to do. "Sit with them and you'll be fine." He pulls off my sunglasses and holds my face in his hands. "I love you." He kisses me. "I love you too." I smile weakly.

I go in and go straight to the back. I sit beside Peter. "Hey Veronica. What're you doing back here?" Dennis asks. "The Heathers are being terrors as usual. And she's their target." Peter explains. I put my glasses back on and sit back. Heather Chandler turns around and smiles at me. I hold up my middle finger until she looks back at the front. That's when I see it. On the board, Heather wrote: Veronica Sawyer has an affectation for regurgitation. Attached is a photo of me puking outside of her house. I sink further in my chair. The teacher comes in and sees it. "Heather!" She says angrily. She erases the writing and rips the picture into pieces.

When the bell rings I take my time leaving, waiting for the Heathers to leave. But they don't. They stand there, waiting for me. "Heather." The teacher calls. Both Heathers walk over, giving me a chance to escape. I rush out of the classroom. I look for JD, bumping into him. "Jesus. What's with us and running into each other?" He laughs. He then drops his smile when he sees my face. "What happened?" He asks. I keep walking, he follows. "'Veronica Sawyer has an affection for regurgitation.'" I quote, looking down. "Those bi-" He stops himself and sighs. "It's fine." I tell him before rushing off to class.

I had study hall third period so I go to the library and sit in the stacks by the non-fiction books. I pull out my diary and quickly scribble down my feelings.

Dear Diary,

So the day so far has sucked. Someone took a picture of me puking outside of Heather's that night and everyone is making fun of me. I'm currently in the stacks of the library. It's study hall so I'm waiting for them to come find me and finally end me.

I stop writing when I hear hushed voices getting closer. "She's in here. I know it. We can bring her out the back door and into the alley." A familiar voice says. I return my diary to finish before they find me.

And now they're here. So goodbye for now diary. I'm about to be either socially or actually killed.

Sincerely, Veronica

"Here she is." I hear. I quickly shove my diary in my bag and look up. The Heathers and Kurt are coming down the row towards me. I grab my stuff and make a run for it, but am blocked by Ram, who throws me over his shoulder. I scream and kick but Heather grabs my face. "Hey! Don't you know you have to be quiet in libraries?" She smirks. "You b-" I cut off my her slapping me. Ram carries me outside and throws me down. He turns to Heather and I run again. I run until I get to another entrance. I bang on the door before someone finally opens it. I catch my breath and go back to the library. The librarian, Mrs Morgan, is now sitting at the desk. I sit where I'm in direct sight of her. I put my knees to my chest and start hyperventilating. "Miss Sawyer? Do you need to go to the nurse?" Mrs Morgan asks. I shake my head and rock back in forth.

When the bell rings for lunch, I stay where I am.

JD's POV

I wait for Veronica to sit down at the table but she doesn't come. When Peter passes by, I stop him. "Hey, do you know where Veronica is?" I ask. "I saw her in the library. She was shaking like crazy." He tells me. "Thanks." I say before going to the library. Sure enough, Veronica is curled up, shaking. "Ronnie?" I approach her. She burst into tears and cries into my shoulder. I sigh and pull her up. "Come on." I guide her into the hallway.

I take her to Ms Fleming's room and knock on the door. Ms Fleming opens it. "Jason? Veronica?" What's going on?" She looks at us both. "Ms Fleming, Veronica is being bullied."