Ch. 1

Hermione sighed as she looked up from her book, placing her head in her hands momentarily and taking a deep breath. It was only a week into the term and she already had a tremendous amount of homework to do. Despite that, though, she felt relatively calm. But that was most likely because she was in her favorite part of the library, surrounded by all of the books.

"Erm, Granger?"

She jumped slightly and looked up. Draco Malfoy was standing at the opposite end of the table, looking at her awkwardly. He nodded towards one of the books off to her side and asked, "Is there a chance I could borrow that book when you're finished with it?"

Hermione stared at him for a second before nodding. He nodded in return and walked back to the table he had been sitting at with the other Slytherin, Blaise Zabini. They muttered something to each other before returning back to their work, Malfoy giving her a quick look before doing so.

She looked him over, noticing that his features were somehow more angular than they were before the summer. His hair wasn't stiff anymore, now flowing backwards as if he ran his hands through it a lot, and it was almost an icy white color. It was much brighter than it had been before, almost glowing. Any stress that had shown on his face before the war was gone, and he looked...attractive. 

She frowned as she went back to her book after what she pushed those thoughts away, continuing to write down notes for her Ancient Runes essay.

"I thought I might find you here!"

She looked up to see Ginny making her way through the tables to her, and she smiled at her friend. "Hey Ginny!"

Ginny set her stuff down at the corner of the table that wasn't occupied by books and sat in the chair next to Hermione, sighing. "How was your summer? Were you able to find your parents?"

Hermione's smile faded and she looked back down at her parchment. "No, I have no idea where in Australia they are. I was really hoping that I would find them, but I had almost no leads and I ran out of time. It's hard to search for them the muggle way, and I couldn't really just show up and start asking questions without raising suspicion."

She sighed and leaned back in her chair, looking up at the ceiling and fighting back the tears. Ginny reached over and rubbed her friend's arm, saying, "I'm sure McGonagall would understand if you wanted to take some time off to go find them."

Hermione shook her head and leaned forward again, giving her friend a small smile. "I need to complete my last year first."

Ginny shook her head and opened her mouth to argue but then immediately shut it, her brow furrowing as she looked past Hermione. "'Mione, I'm pretty sure Malfoy was just staring at you."

Hermione rolled her eyes and shook her head. "He asked if he could borrow one of the books I'm using earlier; he's probably just seeing if I was finished with it."

The red head seemed apprehensive of the answer but looked back at her friend. "Is it odd having to share a dorm with him?"

Hermione shrugged. Her and Malfoy had made Head Girl and Head Boy, much to everyone's surprise on Malfoy's selection. "We haven't even talked much, really. I've honestly been trying to avoid him thinking that he'll make fun of me again, but he doesn't say anything when we're in the room with each other. You know he would never miss a chance to make fun of me or call me names in the past."

"He hasn't done any of that?" Ginny asked in an astonished tone.

"Not once. He even called me by my last name when he asked for the book." Hermione shot him a quick look before turning back to Ginny. "It's odd. I mean, I'm not complaining or anything, but still."