Ch. 31

The following Monday at breakfast, the group was sitting together at the end of the Gryffindor table, chatting happily to each other. The subject of Halloween had come up, and considering that Professor McGonagall had announced before the feast that she had a surprise, the entire hall was abuzz with speculation on what the surprise was.

"I bet it's a ball," Ginny said confidently. "I've been hearing rumors around the other seventh years that they've been sending multiple requests to McGonagall."

"That could be fun," Hermione replied, taking a bite of her toast.

"Yeah, and Ron isn't here to ruin your night this time," Ginny grinned as she nudged her friend. "We're going to have fun!"

Draco gave Hermione a questioning look from across the table but she shook her head and said, "I'll tell you later."

He nodded and they were interrupted by a swarm of owls, signaling the arrival of the mail. A large eagle owl stopped in front of Draco and he groaned, recognizing it as his family's owl. Hermione was immersed already in the Prophet with Ginny reading over her shoulder. Neither one of them heard Draco groan, but Blaise had and he raised an eyebrow at Draco.

Draco broke his family's wax crest that was holding the letter closed and pulled out a short piece of parchment, instantly recognizing the green scrawl.

Draco,

I have received news from Mrs. Zabini that Blaise has found his mate. She was most upset that it happened to be the blood traitor Weasley girl. Needless to say, I share her distaste for Blaise's choice, but that can't be helped.

Your mother then raised the question of whether or not you had found your mate. Since it has been some time since we have heard from you, we would like an update on everything that is happening. I sincerely hope your Veela's choice is better suited for our family than Blaise's choice.

And please write to your mother; she misses you dearly.

Sincerely,

Father

Draco bit his lip and handed the letter over to Blaise, running a hand through his hair. Blaise scanned the letter and he growled, flinging it back towards Draco.

The girls looked up at them and Hermione asked, "Is everything alright?"

"I just received a letter from my wonderful father," Draco said through gritted teeth. "Asking me who my mate is."

Hermione took the note gently from Draco and read it silently with Ginny. Ginny was completely quiet after reading, staring down at her plate. Blaise reached over to take her hand and smiled at her. "Don't worry about my mother; she'll come around."

She gave him a weak smile in return and nodded, even though she knew most likely his mother would never accept her. Hermione looked up at Draco and asked, "What are you going to tell them?

He shrugged and said, "The truth. They'll find out sooner or later and I'd rather them hear it from me. I'll send him a response later today."

"But your parents hate me," She replied, panicking slightly. "What if your father tries to do something?"

Draco laughed. "He knows better, and my mother wouldn't let him. And if he does anything to hurt you, I'll make sure he regrets it for the rest of his life."

Before Hermione could respond, the Headmistress captured everyone's attention by tapping her knife against her glass.

"Attention please!" She waited until the hall fell silent before continuing. "Fourth years and below, please exit the hall. This announcement does not apply to you."