Ch. 17

She almost wasn't sure she had heard him correctly. Almost.

"A Veela." She repeated.

He nodded. She let out a breath that she didn't realize she was holding and began thinking immediately. It almost all made sense. His attitude growing up, his father's attitude, the fact that he was abnormally attractive.

She shook that last thought away and chewed on her bottom lip. He watched her quietly as she took in and analyzed everything he had told her. He actually enjoyed watching her think; the way her face would just slightly change expressions, her cheek would twitch just slightly every so often, and of course her chewing on her lip. He found it quite adorable.

"So," She started slowly. "You and Blaise are both Veelas. I can understand everything else that you have told me, but I'm not sure what this all has to do with me."

"Well, you and Ginny," He corrected in a light tone. "Blaise had the same issue with wanting to tell Ginny, but his situation was slightly more difficult since she was still with Potter. And of course, telling one of you girls meant the other one would know and-"

"What do Ginny and I have to do with this?" She interrupted impatiently, an edgy tone in her voice.

His Veela bristled slightly as he felt her anger but he tried to calm both himself and her as he went on, "This is where it gets a little touchy. Like I said, Blaise and I wanted this to happen naturally, but unfortunately given the circumstances that would not be fair to you or Ginny."

"Draco Malfoy, if you don't tell me right now..." She fumed.

He tried to hide his smile by chewing on the inside of his cheek. She was extremely attractive when she was flushed and angry, if he was honest with himself. "I trust you've researched Veelas in the past, correct?"

"It's been a little while, I'll admit, but I do know a little bit about them," She replied in a quick manner. She wanted to know where he was going with it.

"Well then I'm sure you read that Veelas have one person that they are mated to."

She froze, her mind bursting in a whirlwind of thoughts.

Draco noticed her freeze. He groaned inwardly and hoped he could save it. "This is partially why I wanted it to happen naturally. I didn't want you to feel pressured into anything, or that you were forced to be with me against your will. But, Hermione, you are the person my Veela has decided is its mate. And Ginny is Blaise's."

He was prepared for almost any reaction she could have. Any reaction except the silence that she was giving him then. She simply stared at him, blinking every so often before looking down at the table. This unnerved him more than anything as she gave no clue in her expression as to what she was thinking. But by the feelings she was giving off, he knew that she was, for lack of a better term, shocked.

There were many feelings mixed together; confusion, which he noted she seemed to be confused a lot lately and he couldn't blame her; apprehension; amazement; relief? He wasn't quite sure if it was relief or not, maybe more relief of her questions actually being answered and the comfort of the fact that she was no longer in the dark.

He started to grow restless after minutes of silence, shifting uncomfortably in his seat as he panicked and said, "I know this is probably a lot to take in in such a short amount of time, but like I said, it wouldn't have been fair to you if I didn't tell you before too long."

She only nodded slightly in response. Her breathing was shallow, but not to the point of him being too concerned about it. He knew she was still thinking.

After another few moments, he sighed and looked down as he ran a hand through his hair nervously. "I don't want you to feel pressured into being with me. I know this is a bit of a shock and to be honest, I wasn't entirely expecting it to be you either, but I will say that I am happy it's you."