Chapter 6: Musical Meeting

Seungjun matches Jihun's pace as they walk the block to the nearest bus stop.  Jihun picks up the pace of his steps not wanting to slow Seungjun down but walks at a normal pace when Seungjun hangs back anyway.  They reach the stop in 5 minutes and Seungjun pulls out his phone to check the schedule online.  Jihun leans on the inside wall and stares across the way inspecting every nook and cranny of the wall across from him.

"It says the next bus should be here in 10 minutes or so."  Seungjun says looking up from his phone.  He follows the line of Jihun's focused gaze and presses his lips together to keep from grinning.  He walks in front of Jihun who blinks and refocuses on him.  "Did you hear me?  The next bus should be here in 10 minutes or so."  He says.  Jihun nods in acknowledgement.  Seungjun's grin breaks through and his white teeth show.  As if the sun is reflecting off them Jihun looks down again making eye contact with Seunjun's shoulder line.  Seungjun's hand comes up and touches the large collar of his petticoat still wrapped around Jihun's body.  Jihun looks at his hand there and then back up to his eyes.

"This must be warm.  Even I don't wear it as much as you do."  He teases.  Jihun presses his lips together and looks down at their feet.  The toes of their shoes are nearly touching.  Seungjun's body leans a bit closer to Jihun as his hand slowly floats up as if it is about to touch Jihun's chin.  But in a heartbeat almost in time with Jihun's quickening pulse his hand finds the top of Jihun's head and he again messes up his hair before laughing and taking a step back.  

Jihun frowns at him and then continues to look down as he fixes his hair.  Seungjun continues laughing.

"Sorry, sorry, I can't help it.  It looks so funny when it's pointing everywhere."  He says as he reaches out and helps Jihun tuck a few hairs back in place.  "There.  What do you use to keep it so soft?"  He says.  Jihun shrugs and pulls his jacket closer around him.  His heart is not calming down. 

Why is his heart not calming down? 

Seungjun's laughter stops as the bus pulls up.  They wait for people to get off and then they enter, paying the fare before moving to get a seat.  Jihun slides into a seat by the back of the bus and looks out the window.  Seungjun slides in next to him and relaxes into his seat.  

He pulls out his phone for a moment and his thumbs move across the screen as if he is typing something.  Then he pockets it and examines the face of the man sitting at his side.  He takes in his silent presence and the strong smell of his shampoo, a fruity scent.  Jihun looks over at Seungjun who flicks his eyes to the window hoping it seems like he was looking there the whole time.  Jihun pulls out his phone.

You said it will probably take a while to get there right?

Seungjun nods.

"Yeah, usually it takes about an hour, this bus has a few more stops along the way than the ones I usually take in the city so it may take like 15 more minutes or so, why?"  Seungjun leans in a bit to make sure Jihun can hear him as he keeps his volume low.

I'm going to close my eyes for a bit.  If that's alright.

Jihun writes.  Seungjun nods.  "Of course, rest is what you should be doing."  He feels a bit like he is nagging but he cannot help himself.  He can still see the tightness of a pained expression trying to break through around Jihun's eyes and in the set of his jaw.  Even when he smiles like he is now. 

Jihun pockets his phone and leans his head back on the back of his chair.  His eyes slide closed and after a few minutes his breathing becomes deeper.  The bus makes a turn and his head falls onto Seungjun's shoulder.  Seungjun looks over to see the top of his head and smiles.  He lifts his hand and brushes his fingers lightly through Jihun's hair, something he's wanted to do properly since he had first laid his eyes on the quiet man.