Blade Runners - Part IV

~*~

Sam, Dean and Ashleigh looked down at the three dead bodies as a man in a suit looked to the three fake FBI agents "I don't have much for you guys. The guards were good men. They'd been here for years... Vetted, honest. But.."

"But?" Dean questioned as Ashleigh broke away from the group.

"Security camera shows a research assistant caught them breaking into vault number one."

"That's her?" Dean asked, pointing towards the woman's body on the ground.

The man nodded and continued "It gets weirder." He pulled the laptop from the table and clicked on the security camera footage to show the agents. Sam took the laptop in his hands as the video began playing.

The video showed the woman already dead on the floor and one of the guards walking out of the vault, shrugging his shoulders. The other guard then pulls out his gun and shoots his colleague which makes him jolt back slightly. The other guard then pulls out his gun and shoots the other one. He then walks forward and stares at the camera, before shooting it as well, the footage going out.

"Like I said.." the man speaks.

"Anything special about the particular vault they opened?" Sam asked.

"Vault number one is where they keep rare, new acquisitions while they're being examined"

"So what was stolen?" Dean asked, placing his hands in his pockets.

"That's the kicker... Nothing" the man shakes his head "The curator, Dr. McElroy, said the vault's been empty for weeks."

A woman's voice draws his attention behind him "Excuse me. Detective?" He nods towards the boys before heading off towards the woman.

Dean turns to Sam "Okay, so, just connecting the dots here... The blade was likely put in there when it first got here."

Sam glances towards the dead bodies behind them "The guards were obviously demons, so... What? When the vault turned out to be empty, they killed their guard meat-suits and smoked out?"

"And reported back to who?" Dean asked quietly.

Ashleigh stepped up to the boys, crossing her arms slightly "Abaddon. She's closing in" the boys looked towards her, Sam chuckling lightly "Great."

~*~

"So, the first blade was never on display?" Sam asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"No authenticated item by that name was ever on these premises" Dr. McElroy spoke.

"Authenticated" Dean repeated, glancing over at Ashleigh.

"Dr. McElroy, this blade was stolen and smuggled into the US in violation of treaties with several governments." Ashleigh said firmly, causing the woman to look away nervously.

"We can compel you to speak" Dean finished with a small smile.

"Compel?" The woman asked, looking between the three of them with a smile. "And what might that involve?"

Dean blinks, at a loss for words before he looks towards Ashleigh who sighs quietly under her breath. "Alright, look, I did aquire the so-called First Blade." Dr. McElroy continues. "And carbon dating did peg it to biblical times, but the authentication proved unreliable."

"So it was in the vault." Sam stated.

She nodded slightly "I removed it myself. The guards didn't know."