Ch 8: Destiny

Evangeline POV:

We sat in the sun and talked about the ball for six hours.

Apparently Melody wanted to be perfectly golden while I sat under my umbrella praying that I wont become 3 shades darker.

She was full of wisdom on gowns and hair and makeup.

All things I would normally love if it wasn't for the Lunar Ball.

She even tried to figure out a way to balance my black lipstick with the look. Honestly it was sweet.

She was so excited.

Meanwhile when I got home. Dad had me working on defense strategy for if I ran into the wrong wolves.

If I died there was nothing left.

Which is why the pack hasn't been informed the Lelantos pack would be there.

They would freak, for their own safety and for mine.

Since Everett died all of their dreams have been shoved onto me. People I barely know care more about my future than their own children's.

My future is their future.

Everyone has a pack they think my mate will come from.

They all hope for an alphas son.

They forget that I'm a person not their ticket out of a bad situation but a living breathing member of their pack.

No one, other than Mel, has told me they hope I find a mate that loves me more than anything.

No. Thats the normal wish people give before the ball.

Good luck for a kind mate and a successful love. For someone who likes your absolute favorite thing whatever it may be. Little things like that.

No. People wish me good luck on finding our packs future leader. They tell me that they hope he was born from an alphas bloodline. They hope he's from a pack he's willing to leave to run ours.

It makes me want a mate even less.

Im still working on how to break the news of rejection to my family and pack.

Perhaps I can just say I didn't think he would be a suitable alpha?

Not that that matters much, so long as I have pups and one is male.

If that happens the pack lives on. My mate would supposedly step down when my son, born to be alpha unlike my mate, was of age and we would live out our life.

Not my ideal future.

I would rather try to run the pack on my own, have kids with someone eventually. Maybe someone else who was rejected, have my child that way so the pack can still live on.

And I don't have to be some tool to get a man here then.

I just don't want or need the entire mate fiasco.

Im more than bait for a future alpha.

Sometimes I think we would be better of merging with another pack.

But that would require dad to stop being alpha.

And two alphas in one pack never ends well, one would be ostracized or killed.

Which is why for four years everyone outside the pack has been led to believe that my brother is alive and well and has cute little pups with his lovey mate and the Hawthorn pack is thriving.

We are struggling.

We are drowning.

We are liars.

"Evie."

I looked up at my father, "yes?"

"Were you paying attention to what I was saying?"

"...no."

My father sighed rubbing his temples, "Alpha Lelantos ordered and led the slaughter of a neighboring pack because one member infringed on his territory."

I wrinkled my nose im distaste, the mans territory is the size of his overinflated sense of entitlement.

Whats his is his and whats yours is also his.

"This close to the ball?"

"He seems to be on edge."

Probably because he's going to a stupid ball where he was specifically told to not kill anyone. Im sure that rained on his parade. "Okay."

"Avoid all of his pack."

"You told me that." I paused, "what if one is my mate?"

My dad scoffed, "the future alpha of this pack wouldn't be such a bloodthirsty savage as a Lelantos wolf."

Yeah...but what about my mate.

Supposedly destined for me.

Not the pack. Me, as a person.

"But if he was?"

Just tell me I can reject one of those monsters. They hunt other wolves for fun. They are no better than packless rogue's. If any rejection was suitable in my fathers eyes it had to be from that pack.

Who would want their daughter with a man like that?

"He wont be."

"Yeah.." I pushed. "But if he was."

"Then we make do with it and hope he adjusts to our pack lifestyle and type of leadership well."

Right. Hope he's okay governing our pack. Never mind what might happen to the person he's mated to.

He can totally touch me with his filthy bloodstained hands... as long as he's an okayish fit for the pack.

That seems right.

Thanks dad.

Im all for the greater good and shit but would it kill anyone to pretend they wished I didn't have this much responsibility in something completely out of my hands. "Okay dad."

He nodded, "but he wont be, you will be fine Evie. The pack will be fine. You will bring home a good future leader I have confidence in you."

"My mate is predestined."

Another nod, "and this is your destiny its only right that it aligns."

I sank deeper into my chair.

Right. This is my destiny, how stupid of me to think I was more than the bringer of the future alpha.

How stupid to think my inevitably rejected mate would be good for me and not the pack.

Glad I got that cleared up.

Who knows maybe it wont even hurt to reject him then. He's the packs after all.