Ch 51: Werewolf Metabolism is a Bitch

A/N: Whos ready for a different side of Asmos?

Asmos POV

Evie's entire face lit up as she laughed with her friend over some nonsensical girl crap.

Her eyes glittered with humor and her hair swayed around her waist with her movements, glittering in the sun.

Her joy was genuine and unapologetic when she is around her friend. I knew the moment her first laugh softly rang through the air with a grin spreading over her face that my beta and the deltas had absolutely no say in this new pack member.

Evies friend would live in my pack even if I had to replace those who council me until I find someone who agrees.

Their jobs are now to find a place for the shockingly tiny blonde woman, not to assess if she belongs.

I had never seen Evie laugh like that, the few times she had in my presence there was always a lustful undertone.

This was pure. Light. Airy. Like silver bells in the winter.

Her laugh with Mel showed her age, her lack of experience in this world despite what she had been through.

It soothed my inner wolf.

So much so that the desire to just take her back before she saw her family rushed through my veins.

That carefree smile would be gone the moment she saw them.

I didn't have to love Evie to want her smile to stay for a bit longer.

These isn't a lot of joy running my pack so seeing her grin like that was strange and I couldn't bring myself to look away.

What was Luna thinking giving her to me?

Her life was already hard, and I was certainly not going to make it easier.

Her friend could though and part of me wanted that for her. Wanted her to be able to smile like that.

The blonde girl glanced at me from where she sat in the grass with Evie, smiling shyly, "Alpha Lelantos join us?"

Evies gaze drifted to me, lips still parted in a smile, "mmhm yeah have a drink with us."

I shook my head but approached them, "I have been scanning the perimeter for threats." And occasionally growing distracted by her, "I will not drink."

She rolled her eyes at me, palm rubbing over my thigh as I stood beside her seated form, "one mimosa wont kill you. We are werewolves."

I sat beside her pulling her into my lap and brushing some grass from her clothes, "and I have a duty as Alpha especially in packs that are not my own. Nothing to dull my defenses."

She leaned back against me, rolling her eyes, "I told you he was a stick in the mud."

Mel smiled a bit, "I think its sweet he wants to protect you."

Evie and I snorted at the same time.

Protect her? Woman is like a freight train protecting her is asking for death and she is capable of doing so herself.

Well at least here.

"Melody." She hummed, "I can protect myself and there's no danger here. He's just boring."

I scowled at her, "I am not boring. You are trouble."

she shot me an incredulous look, "so you are trying to protect me."

"No this is my normal behavior."

She seemed to accept this answer as her friend frowned, "seriously? That's so...unromantic."

Evie grinned, "well. If it helps this is his normal behavior in public."

I scowled, "Evie."

"In private he's plenty good to me. Relax Melody."

Melody arched a brow, "I said romantic. Not good."

"I don't really like romance Mel. You know that." Evie gripped my hand playing with my fingers, "besides we don't really know one another."

"But-"

I cut off the blonde, "mate bonds are complex, they don't necessarily create love Melody. It all starts in lust and generally develops to love, but not always."

"So..." the girl started, "you don't love Evie?"

"I do not know Evangeline. That will be discovered when we move to my pack. Love is not instantaneous despite what most werewolves would have you believe."

The blonde teenager seemed to wilt, "oh.."

Evie was quick to jump in, "but thats me and Asmos, Mel you and your mate could fall in love so fast you wont know what hit you."

Not at all likely. Most wolves just convince themselves lust was love.

Evie continued, "Asmos and I just have my crazy pack situation to deal with plus theres the age gap...he waited 50 years for a suitable alpha female."

"and now he has you..."

I nearly rolled my eyes about to speak before Evies now stern voice cut in, "and I am a teenager who tried to run. He is a good alpha he shouldn't just trust me with his pack."

The blonde and I both blinked at her.

Well look at her being logical.

When I looked back up from Evie, Mel was staring at me intently, "alright not love...but I give it two weeks of you two living together before it is."

Not likely.

Evie downed the rest of her champagne before wiggling out of my grip, "okay lets go meet the family, we are out of booze anyways."

I frowned, "your friend brought two bottles and its been less than an hour."

Both girls looked at me as if I had just said something ridiculous, Mels brow arching, "Evies gotta drink fast if she wants a good buzz."

Evie nodded, "werewolf metabolism is a bitch."

That is truly not the point here.