Part Five

Juvia POV

Two guards looked down over the wall of the castle when we arrived, one with his thumbs hooked in a broad, leather belt. “Your spoils of war?” he called down.

Natsu grinned and glanced back at me and Erza, then upward again. “Open the gate already Elfman! I'm starving! Phantom Lord is home, attending their wounded.”

“As I’ve heard. Well done. Well done! Those dogs will regret the day they divided from the manly house of Fairy Tail.” He turned without further word, and slowly, the gate cranked open. I could hear the clank of thick metal chains.

As soon as we entered the clearing in the middle of the three walled courtyard, people streamed from the inner castle. At the front of the pack was a tiny gray-haired man and a girl with black hair in a white dress that stopped a bit above her knees with a large yellow belt around her waist, followed closely behind by another girl.

The brunette glanced at me with narrowed eyes but immediately rushed to Gray’s side and reached up to take his hand. “I am so relieved to see you return unharmed.” She clutched her hand to her breast. The other girl taking up a similar position beside Jellal.

I glanced beside me at Erza. ‘You’re seeing this too right?’

Reading my facial expression Erza nods, visibly trying to hold back a laugh.

“When the others returned, one badly wounded, I feared the worst.” said Jellal's chick.

“I don’t know what I’d do if anything happened to you.” they continued.

I tried...I really did.. But it was impossible to keep a straight face after that. I leaned my head down, burying my face in Pollux's mane in an attempt to hide my laughter.

It was just so….corny.  Like one of those sappy overly romantic dramatic movies Levy made us watch sometimes. So, so extra.

Even Erza took up the same position as me, shoulders trembling in an effort to subdue her laughter. By the end of it we were totally breathless and on the verge of tears. Worried, our horses shifted from foot to foot, their hoofs noisily clanking on the stone floor of the courtyard. Luckily, the knights were too preoccupied with their ladies in waiting to notice.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Or so I thought.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Concerned, Gray and Jellal dismount and walk towards us almost immediately, not caring that our horses gave them a snort of warning.

“Are you alright Erza?”

“What’s wrong Juvia? Are you feeling faint?”

Jerking up in surprise, we vigorously shake our heads no, still breathing heavily from our laughter a few moments ago. He furrows his brows at me, skeptical. I smile weakly at him to prove my point but he does nothing but grit his teeth as he watches Gajeel help me down from my saddle.

‘Weird’

I glance at Jellal, only to see him glaring at Natsu as he helps Erza down from her saddle. ‘Very weird’  I thought in confusion. Erza looked just as perplexed.

Erza POV

"And who is this?" the black-haired girl asked, acting like she totally wasn't just completely ignored. She was about our age, and very pretty. Straight nose, wide, onyx black eyes, full lips. Gray's girlfriend, most likely. Behind her, her posse frowned in our direction, but quickly went all sweetness and light, portraying nothing but confidence and hospitality. All an act for the knights, I was sure. I could see it in their eyes. They didn't want us here.

Natsu had come over and lifted me down off the saddle as easily as Jellal had placed me in it. Did these guys have a weight room where they worked out or something? I shifted, struggling with the pain in my backside, already a bit saddle sore.

"Father," Jellal said, turning to me, "this is Erza Scarlet and Juvia Lockser."

"Miss Lockser and Miss Scarlet," another girl said, Jellal's chick I think, with a princess sort of nod.

"Are you on a journey?" Her condescending eyes flicked so quickly from my armor to Juvia's apparently unusual dress.

"Probably," I said, going for an easy approach. "We're in search of our sisters, we have not heard from them in some time."

"We?" she asked, looking over my shoulder, as if innocently expecting someone to appear.

Behind me, Juvia clears her throat.

"She and her sister were lost in the woods and awakened to find herself in the middle of our battle. They were nearly captured by a Phantom Lord knight." Gray replies.

"How frightful," Another girl says, bringing a hand to her throat.

"Very," I said with a little nod.

"We will, of course," the older man, said, "aid you in any way possible to reunite you with your family." His voice and eyes were so kind, I did a double take.

"Juvia thanks you," Juvia says, hesitantly. I frowned, embarrassed by all of the attention we were receiving.

More had gathered around us by this time. "Poor dear," said a beautiful white-haired woman. "No doubt you'd like a good bath and a decent meal. You must be famished."

Juvia and I straightened, when our stomach rumbled as if in response to the woman's offer. I'm sure they all heard it. A couple of them turned away, but not before I saw their smiles. 'Just open up and swallow me whole earth-san.'

"Come then," the woman said, turning us around and ushering us across the clearing. "I'll get you settled into a room for the night."

"Thank you..." I hesitated. Had she said her name?

"My name's Mirajane Strauss, but most call me Mira here in the castle."

"You cook for all?" I said. There had to have been more than fifty people milling about.

She looked at me strangely for a moment, as if she didn't quite understand me, then quickly regained her expression of deference. "I oversee all aspects of keeping the castle in order, and feeding everyone within its walls, with the help of others. Perhaps it is different where you're from?"

"At times," Juvia mumbled. 'You have no idea'

We walked by an open doorway that led to one of the castle's turrets, and I glimpsed a tall, thin man in a long, brown overcoat, staring at me. He said nothing, and Mira ignored him. Juvia and I glanced at each other nervously. His unblinking eyes gave me the creeps. Thoughts of the Phantom Lord knight asking me if I was a wizard returned along with the memory of Gray's ice and Jellal's sudden glowing speed....

The white-haired woman led us down a long, narrow, stone hallway, lit by a torch at the end. Even though it was the middle of day, the place was as dark as the inside of the tomb. We reached the end of the corridor, and Mira pulled a ring of keys from her waistband and slid one into the lock and opened the door.

"This'll be your room for the time being, your sisters room with be right across from here."

"Thank you." I said while stepping inside and surveying the room curiously. It was pretty nice, for whatever time period this was.

She gave us a gentle smile. "You have the stance of a warrior queen. Both of you."

And with that she left.

Juvia and I blinked at each other for a moment. 'Warrior queen? What does that even mean?'

🍜🍚🍘🍙🍥🍣🍱🍤🍛🍝🍖🍗🍟🍔

IM SORRY MINNA!!! PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!!!! I ALMOST TOTALLY FORGOT TO UPDATE THIS STORY THIS MONTH!!!! I MEANT TO UPDATE THREE DAYS AGO AND I COMPLETELY FORGOT!!!! 😭😭😭😭

You're a disgrace -_-

SHUT UP ELLY YOU DIDN'T EVEN REMIND ME!!!!

Whatever. Don't forget to like, comment, and share!

Byeeeee~