Part Eight

Erza

Two hours later, We pulled off the trail in a small clearing, beside a boulder, and allowed the three men behind us to thunder past. I slid down off the horrible saddle and turned back to the Castor, Juvia doing the same. Throughout the entire ride I could feel that Castor was itching to sprint full speed with me, but he knew he couldn't when I was on that stupid sidesaddle.

“Sorry buddy,” I sighed in english while stroking him.

“It's a shame we can't just ditch the side saddles.” Juvia muttered.

I blinked. “Who says we can't?”

Juvia looked at me in surprise, before cracking a grin. “We Bellum women are audacious aren't we? Let's show them just how audacious we can be”

I eagerly turn back to Castor and grab hold of the leather strap, unhooking the first buckle, then the second, sliding the saddle from Castor, Juvia doing the same to Pollux.

I heard the men shout, come to a halt, and then turn back.

Jellal began turning to us, “We shouldn't stay here for much longer. This hill is Phantom Lord territory at the mo- what are our doing?.”

I couldn't help but grin wickedly. “We’re going to show you,” I said, heaving the saddle behind the boulder and covering it with a huge, fallen branch, “how we ride in Bellum.”

“You can’t do that-“

“We are holding you back, right?” Juvia said, Pollux's reins still in her hand. “Admit it. Juvia and Erza are holding you back.”

He returned glanced at Juvia, then back to me. “Yes, you are holding us back. As we told you you would.”

“Well, we can fix that,” we said at the same time, turning away from him so we could place both hands on the backs of our horses. We began to count, bouncing on our feet a little to gain momentum on each count.

“One,”

“Two,”

“What do you mea-”

“Three!”

With a mighty push, Juvia and I lift ourselves over our horses while simultaneously throwing our right leg over their back, leaving Jellal with his mouth hanging open in shock. Normally, his was a difficult maneuver to pull off, but Juvia and I made it look easy.

“Now, we can ride,” I said, unable to hide my smile. I squeezed Castors flanks with my heels, and we leaped forward.

I allowed my grin to spread and Juvia could not resist her laughter as we passed the other men, their mouths agape. This is how we were taught to ride-without a saddle at all. It felt familiar, comfortable.

‘Yeah, you boys have never seen anyone like us. You know it. I know it. Wait until you get a load of all four of us together.’ The very idea of it made me laugh out loud.

I leaned close to Castors ear, “Take me to where we first met.” I whispered, somehow certain that he would understand.

“Erza,” I look to my left to see Jellal who had caught up with us. “Slow down, the others need to catch up.” Looks like Castor and Pollux are faster, if not the fastest, horses here.

I pulled on the reins, bringing Castor down to a trot and then to a complete halt, Juvia copying my movement. Surprised, Jellal passed us and then turned around, pulling to a halt in front of me.

‘What? He thought I wouldn't be able to stop? What does he take me for? An idiot?’

He arms crossed casually in front of him, regarding me with new, curious eyes. “So that is how Bellum women ride?”