Part Twelve

Erza POV

The knight beside me- I think I heard his name was Redus- used the momentary surprise of the Phantom Lord knights to lunge forward, piercing the first man in the shoulder. Juvia and I hesitated, caught off guard by the blood that literally spurted from the gash in the man's cloak and flesh. But then I tensed. They were attacking now, and they were seriously cranky.

I glanced back and was relieved to see the two women, on a ledge twelve feet above us, reaching for their next perch. They were nearly to safety. At least we would die for something. Jellal and Gray clearly needed to marry those chicks for some reason.

'Maybe they'll name their first girls after us-'

The four knights came closer to us, hands out in placating manner. "Now, this will not help you at all," said the first. "Women should never play with the weapons of men."

'When facing an opponent larger or stronger than yourself, use the element of surprise.'

"No, they should not play with them," I said, adopting a guilty look and pretending to agree with him. "They should learn to wield them," Juvia said, already circling to gain the momentum we needed, "properly," I finished, ramming our swords into theirs. He and the guy beside him barely brought their own swords up in time.

I arced it upward and used the weight of it to bring it down at him again, from the other side. Again, he narrowly blocked my blow, eyes widening in understanding that we weren't pretending. "Aww, we have two lioness's here," he sputtered in a delighted but patronizing tone, beginning his attack. He was as large as Gajeel. Surprise, my temporary ally, was gone.

"Erza! Juvia!" cried both Carmen and Ava, now on top of the cliff.

"Go!" I called back in irritation. She wasted precious seconds with the theatrics. "Go for help!"

They were rushing right at us, all four of them, yelling ferociously. Juvia and I stood back to back, calm and calculating.

'Once the element of surprise is gone, be relentless- but don't tire yourself out. Anticipate their every move. You must always be two or three steps ahead.'

We close our eyes and do as we were taught. A rush of air to my right. I lean to the left slightly and raise my sword, intercepting the hit. I can feel two of them rushing forward again. I block one hit with my sword and the other with my armored arm. Behind me Juvia matches me step per step.

Side.

Block.

Head.

Duck.

Strike.

Dodge.

The men quickly become even more frustrated- can you blame them? They're getting their asses handed back to them by girls- and they all rush at us with loud battle cries at the same time, intending to pierce us all at once from four different directions.

'Once you have them where you want them, attack!'

"Juv's."

"Ready."

Almost as if it happened in slow motion, Juvia and I simultaniously shift so that the tips of their swords met harmlessly in the middle, hitting nothing. Before they can even react, I slam the hilt of my sword onto one of the mans face and elbow the other one in the nose. In front of me Juvia does the same, except she kicks the other man in the face with enough force to send him sprawling. None of them get up.

I turn to see Redus finish off his own opponent, and frowned. 'Weren't there si-'

"AAH!"