Part Eighteen

We dedicate this chapter to karma7309, Animefansunite, NikkiTheOtaku, tt_reed,Stardust478, yoongiS_1225, Samantha_Modales, Mira_the_mad_shipper, and Ressa_27!! Thanks for commenting!!

Juvia POV

Can’t say I ever thought I’d see us in purple,” Natsu said with disgust as he mounted his horse.

“Shut up, flame brain.” Gray scowled as he adjusted the Phantom Lord armor. Jellal looked just as uncomfortable and awkward in the armor but he wore it nonetheless. I laughed under my breath- they looked like they were more willing to put on a dress than to wear Phantom Lord armor. Once they were ready  I kicked Pollux in the flanks, he and Castor had come back about five minutes after we finished taking out the Phantom Lord knights. We needed to hurry, if we weren’t inside the castle gates before word reached them that the Phantom Lord forces had been overrun by the town knights, we’d never get in. We had already lost precious minutes, battling those soldiers.

When we reached the cobblestone entry road we paused so that they could get situated, posing as wounded soldiers. It helped that there was blood on all of them. Natsu went as far as to lie across the saddle, arms dangling. Jellal hunched forward, as if barely holding on. We pressed on as fast as we could and paused before the massive castle gates.

“Open up!” Erza yelled and I looked over my shoulder as if we were being pursued. “It’s Erza Scarlet and Juvia Lockser. Lord Jose has sent us to retrieve our sisters!”

Four knights stared down at me from the wall above. The little peephole window slid open, and a man peered out at us.

“Hurry!” I said. “We just barely escaped. Let us in!”

The man’s small eyes shifted to the violet on Grays shoulder and then to the others. “I do not know those men.”

Natsu groaned and shifted.

“They said that they are mercenaries, hired by Lord Jose,” Erza said hurriedly. “But they’re no one to us. I simply believed you would want to take in your own wounded.”

Still, the man paused.

“Leave them here if necessary then,” I bit out, “but let us in already. You’re trying Juvia patience.” I lifted my chin and clamped my lips together. “Lord Jose will certainly be hearing-“

The man groaned and slid the tiny door shut. Perhaps he was a henpecked husband, and he’d decided to risk Jose’s wrath rather than my whining.

I heard the bolt lock clang, and the beam begin to slide. I felt the corner of my lip curling in victory, but then I bit the side of my cheek, regaining my angry edge. We needed to stay in character. We moved forward into the courtyard as if we intended to drop the injured soldiers’ reins into the gateman’s hands.

It was then we saw eight knights, hands on the hilts of their swords, advancing, two from either side. “No!” I yelled, “You’re spooking our horses!” Pollux and Castor, seeming to understand what we wanted them to do, reared on their hind legs, we leaned forward hard, determined to keep our seat. The men paused, surprised, confused, and when they came back down on all four hooves, they pressed forward, as if out of our control, trotting away, dragging the four mounts behind us. We were quickly on the other side of the courtyard. “Now,” Erza said lowly.