Part Fifteen

Dedicated to ErzaScarletTitaniaEr, Galaxy_ChanPai, NikkiTheOtaku, and Gruviafansunite

Comment your thoughts!! They give us life!!

Juvia POV

I slipped down the staircase, knowing that Gajeel was probably already where he left me, glass of water in hand. I had to hurry.

I moved through the dining hall, where servants were clearing the tables, and out into the courtyard. The moon was climbing higher in the sky, casting deep, spooky shadows. A couple moved through, whispering to each other, then, spotting me, hurried off. I swallowed hard, wishing I had that glass of wine now. I’d down it in one gulp. Maybe it’d give me the courage I needed to face the creep. I lifted my chin and pulled back my shoulders, refusing to appear afraid, even if I was terrified inside. He knew where Levy and Lucy were.

I moved down through the ground-floor, looking left and then right, wondering if I had misunderstood him. But then I saw his silhouette in the far corner, leaning against a wall, casually waiting on me.

I stopped, a few feet off, and looked back. We were alone for the moment. “You know where Juvia’s sisters are?” I whispered in French.

“I do.” He pushed off the wall and walked around me. “You may drop your French now, Juvia. It is near perfect, but I know you are not who you pretend to be.”

I made myself stand still, to bear his stare. He didn’t touch me. But it was like he had.

“You resemble them.”

“No, Juvia does not. You are playing with Juvia. You have not seen them.” I turned to leave.

He reached out and touched my arm, deceptively gentle. “I have. They are with Phantom Lord.”

I froze, hands on my skirts. Phantom Lord. Impossible. Right? Or most probable of all…. I had convinced myself we would’ve gotten to them before they had the chance.

Slowly, I turned to face him.

“Come closer, Juvia,” he said. “What I have to tell you is for you and your sister to know alone.”

I moved closer, and he offered his hand. Reluctantly, I reached up to take it, and he pulled me into the corner, until my back was against the wall.“You did not let me finish. Lucy and Levy resemble you and your sister, not in eye or hair color, but in your personalities. It is unmistakable. Also they’ve described you both. I knew it was you as soon as I saw you.”

He stepped back, letting me absorb his words.

Two sets of boots came running into the courtyard.

Mard Geer pressed a hand against my mouth and pushed me into the wall. “Stay… still,” he hissed.

It was Gray and Gajeel, hands on the hilts of their swords, searching around madly, but they barely paused to peruse the shadows before they were off. They thought I had gone out... probably home or to the town square.

“What do you want from us? Why not take Juvia and Erza immediately to them?”

He let out a humorless laugh. “There are a hundred different reasons, silly girl. Starting with they are currently at Phantom Lord. That presents certain… challenges.”

“But you were with them. You saw them.”

“I did.”

“Then you can get Juvia and Erza to them too.”