Part Sixteen

Erza POV

We were walking with Natsu and Gajeel the next morning, telling them of Phantom Lord’s layout from the inside when the guards called down to open the gates. Simon wanted Jose to believe that he could have the Fairy Tail so we could attack Phantom Lord. If war came, they were ready for that, too. Years of having to hold back, of not being able to invite full-on war, was about to end. Fury and greed could have their full sway.

And it all hinged on the crazy arrival of four girls from the twenty-first century. Go figure.

We all paused and watched as an old, hunched-over man came limping into the courtyard, pulling a mule, which in turn pulled a cart loaded with hay. Two guards moved in on the old man to search his robes, but as soon as the gates screeched closed behind him, he lifted his hood and straightened and someone else rose from underneath the hay cursing and shaking hay out of his hair. The guards took a step back and laughed.

It took a sec, but then I knew.

It was Jellal and Gray in disguise.

Jellal grinned at the knights while Gray annoyedly pulled hay from his hair while saying something I couldn’t quite hear. Natsu laughed loudly while pointing at Gray, clearly trying to taunt him. Gajeel rolled his eyes but approached his siblings nonetheless.

Jellal's father and Simon entered the courtyard from the Great Hall.

I tapped Juvia's hand twice and she nodded. Simultaneously, we turned on our heels and fled in opposite directions.

I thought I was ready to see Jellal. I wasn’t.

Also, Jellal's father would totally freak if we didn’t stay as far apart as possible. It was also best Juvia stay away from him too, his dad could think she’s trying to get us together. Simon had tried to tell him of what was to come, of a potential attack, of reinforcements … that it was all because us, really, and it seemed to send the old man over the edge. He had become more serious and calculating.

I heard Jellal call out my name- I all but screeched in terror- but I continued my escape. I would see him later. When I got myself together. After he’s had the chance to say hello to his siblings and Simon. Or maybe I wouldn’t have to. Maybe I’d do my part, They’d do theirs, and Juvia, Lucy, Levy, and I could just get to the tomb and get the heck out of here.

“Erza,” he called, sounding exasperated, still coming after me.

I paused and slowly turned.

We were alone in a corridor.

He ran a hand through his blue hair, and it flopped right back into place. His hand fidgeted with the hilt of his sword as he moved toward me, unsure of himself- had I ever seen him unsure of himself?

“Is everything alright, Jellal?” I asked, and I immediately felt like slapping myself.

“Everything is fine,” he said eagerly, taking my words as welcome, still approaching. “A false rumor of an attack has been spread. The town soldiers moved out this morning. Jose will think it’s a sign that this is the night to attack. He’ll think the town’s soldiers are distracted, not waiting less than half an hour away to come to our aid.”

I really wasn’t concentrating on what he was saying. All I could think about was him, here, so close. In his enthusiasm and excitement, he had moved but a foot from me. I continued to retreat until my back bumped up against the end wall. I looked back in surprise and then to my door, then to him. He stared down at me, as if recognizing, for the first time, how he affected me.

“Jellal, Jose will have spies out, in all directions. If he catches word that there are reinforcements…” I said, my panic rising.

“No,” he said soothingly, face alight. “Jose will only hear what we want him to hear.”