Part Nine

I dedicate this (short) chapter to NikkiTheOtaku and RowenTakari4ever!

Juvia POV

We stopped abruptly and turned so that we were back to back, Erza had her arms in front of herself beneath her cape and I eased my dagger out of its sheath, keeping it hidden beneath the folds of my cape. We stood tense and ready for an attack or an ambush, but I immediately recognized Jellal and Gray's figure in the moons soft glow, Gajeel and Natsu standing beside them.

"You scared us to death," I scolded, trying to steady my pounding heart.

"Maybe you are dead. We're told you two scale walls like wraiths." Gray moved to my side and looked down at me, then grabbed my wrist, slowly bringing the dagger to the soft, ivory light of night. His eyes met mine.

"Are you a spies as my father feared?" Jellal said sharply, never taking his eyes off Erza.

"No! We're simply in search of our sisters!"

Gray looked down at the dagger and then back to me.

"Juvia did not know it was you four, behind me in the woods," I sputtered. "Juvia is not naive to come into the woods unarmed!" I shook off his hand and slid the dagger back into the front sheath. "Juvia told Gajeel-san she wished to do this alone."

"And I told you," Gajeel said, no trace of humor in his voice, "that I could not allow it."

"Why are you so certain that you will find your sisters at the tombs?" Jellal grit out.

"We're not. We just have to know. I can't sleep another night, thinking they might be out here, lost, looking for us.... What if Phantom Lord gets hold of them?" Erza said.

"I assure you, they don't have them," Jellal said, his tone softening. "He would've used them as bait... or demanded a ransom once he connected them to you two."

"Well, that is good for us, then," I said. "That makes it more likely that Lucy and Levy are still at the tombs. We'll either find them there... or we won't. At least on foot, we can approach without detection." I pointed out.

Gray grunted and trudged past me. "If we're to do this foolish thing, then lets hurry. I'd still like to get some sleep this night."

I clenched my fists and glare at his comment but say nothing. He had no idea what I or Erza were willing to do to get Lucy and Levy back. I hurried after him, struggling to keep up with his fast, irritated pace. Gajeel followed behind me. "He's angry."

I paused and glance up at him, before continuing to walk. "That is not Juvia's concern. He should've just let Juvia and her sister leave. It would've been like we had never existed and everything would've gone back to normal for all of you."

"I seriously hope you don't actually believe that." Natsu incredulously said.

"What's not to believe." Erza responded, tilting her head up in defiance.

Gajeel took a step closer, dropping his tone. "Maybe it's different in Bellum. Here, few dare to question our decisions. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't drag you and your sister back."

'I'd like to see them try.'

"You didn't have to tell them," I retorted.

"Yes, we did."

"They didn't ever have to know we were gone," Erza insisted.

"We did. The protection of Fairy Tail is our responsibility."