Chapter 2

Chapter 2

~

Marco's POV

~

The line for coffee was long, as usual. Jean and I came here so much we started knowing the baristas by name. Ava, one of the girls who worked there, also frequently came into the sports pub I worked at. She was working there today.

"Hey, Marco! The usual?" she asked. Most of the people who worked there knew that when Jean and I came to get coffee we mostly got the same thing every time. Jean got cafe americano, and I always got a skinny vanilla latte.

"Yeah. Thanks, Ava." I said, pulling out my credit card. I handed it to her and she scanned it.

"No problem. Have a good day!" she said.

"You too." I said, sliding my credit card back into my wallet. I stepped over to wait for our coffee.

When I got our drinks I started to return to our apartment on the sixth floor of a building in downtown Denver. There was a coffee shop right next to the building, where we would always get coffee from the first week we moved in. Most of the people were really nice, except for a few people that didn't approve of Jean and my lifestyle, but we never let them get to us. When I got back to our room, Jean was already wearing his IHOP uniform. It was pretty dorky, but somehow he managed to pull it off. I really thought it suited him.

"Marco, Doctor Who is on." He said as I handed him his coffee. It was one of those shows we would watch with popcorn and a bunch of blankets. Jean was definitely more into it than I was, but I'd do anything to spend time with him. I sat on our couch next to him and put my arm around him. He leaned into me as he sipped his coffee.

"What time do you have to leave for work?" I asked. He checked his iPhone.

"About eight minutes. I'll be home by 5, want to do dinner and a movie?" he asked.

"Ugh, I wish I could. I have to work tonight at the bar. Maybe tomorrow?" I countered his offer.

"It's a date." he said. We sat in silence watching a show that I couldn't understand, but I didn't care.

I was frozen in time on our living room couch.