Chapter 6

Chapter 6

~

Marco POV

~

Jean woke me up around 9 a.m. He took the truck somewhere, but he refused to tell me. I figured that because I was already up, I should probable make breakfast. For myself, but also Jean. Mornings sucked. I wanted to flop onto the floor in the kitchen, but we're renting this apartment and god knows what's been on it. I chose the couch instead, and I let my feet fall out from under me as my body decended onto it. I laid there for like five minutes before falling onto the floor. I stood up from there and made my way into the kitchen. I pulled out a frying pan from a cabinet and set it on our crappy gas stove. I also got some eggs from the fridge and put those on the counter next to the stove. Jean loved scrambled eggs. Before I started anything, I grabbed my phone and dialed Jean's number. He picked up on the second ring.

"Hey Marco! Sorry I ran out this morning, I had a really great idea. I'm on my way home now, and I have a surprise for you!" he said with just a bit too much enthusiasm for 9:30 in the morning.

"Okay, that's cool. Do you want eggs or something? I know how you like them." I asked. I heard a tiny gasp from the other side of the conversation.

"God yes. You make the best eggs." he said. "I'll be home in roughly seven minutes." Jean always estimated the time. I hung up and started the eggs. I got a bowl from a drawer and the milk from the fridge. I even got out my dumb "kiss the cook" apron. I cracked three eggs in a bowl and washed my hands. Raw eggs were gross as hell. I got a tablespoon of milk and poured it in. Beating the eggs together with the milk was always my favorite part as a kid. I pretended the eggs were people I didn't like.

I added the salt and the pepper an kept stirring. I glanced over at the stove to see if the pan was on before I grabbed it. I did turn it on, even though I didn't remember doing it. I set the egg mixture aside and got some butter. Spreading the butter was difficult for me when I was younger, and I have a burn on my forearm to prove it. I was tilting the pan, and I tilted it just a bit too far and it slid out of my hands.

I poured the eggs into the pan just as Jean walked in the door. I nodded at him, but I kept my focus on the eggs. It was a recipe I learned from YouTube, but they were still really good. Eggs still kinda creeped me out though...

"Marco, check this out." Jean said. I heard the rustling of a plastic bag, but I kept my attention. They started to solidify and it got easier.

"Marco, come on, these are cool." he said. I glanced over my shoulder to find Jean holding two large squirt guns. I laughed and turned back to the eggs.

"Oh my god, Jean, you are a big five-year-old. What would we do with those anyways?" I asked, grabbing two plated. Jean tossed the water guns onto the couch and sat at the table.

"You'll find out later. I was thinking when it got dark, we could go play water tag or something. It would be even better because we wouldn't be able to see each other, so we'd be shooting based off sound." he said. His tone was completely serious, which made this situation even more laughable.

"Okay, fine." I said. I put one of the plates in front of Jean and I took the other. He took a huge mouthfull of eggs and slumped back in his chair.

"These are amazing! You are a kitchen god." he said, stuffing more eggs into his mouth. "What would I do without you?