Chapter 8

Chapter 8

~

Jean's POV

~

The hospital was insane. Marco was carted away seconds before I got there. I screamed and yelled, but they wouldn't let me see him. A nurse talked to me and tried to push me back, but I couldn't hear her. I couldn't hear anything. Only the sound of my heart. 

One beat. 

I tried to push past the nurse, but she held me back. I screamed that I loved him, except, he was unresponsive. My stomach dropped to the floor. Could Marco die from this?

Two beats. 

Marco's mom was there. She put her hand on my shoulder and gestured me to the seats by the receptionist desk. She was talking, but I could only hear static. I pushed her hand off me and make a break for Marco. I could still see the hospital bed he was in being pushed around the corner. 

Three beats. 

I got pass the nurse, and I could hear faint shouting behind me. Sprinting for Marco and sprinting for life- there wasn't a difference for me. I grabbed the side of the gurney and I saw the blood. He was bleeding everywhere and his eyes were shut.

Four beats. 

I put my hand on his chest and nurses dragged me away. I felt his breath and a weight was lifted off my shoulders. Part of a weight, at that. There was a lot of blood, and he could still... I wiped the thought from my head. Voices were becoming more distinct, and I heard Marco's mom. She wrapped her arms around me and sat me in a seat next to her. Her voice was still fuzzy. 

        "Jean, it's alright, sweetheart. Marco is going to be okay." she said, rubbing my back. It didn't register that she was talking for a moment. I just stared across the room, completely in shock of what happened. 

        "What... what happened to him?" I asked. I put my head in my hands and I felt tears coming on. Mrs. Bodt kept rubbing my back. She was just as nice as Marco was. 

        "I want you to take a deep breath." I inhaled. "Marco was driving to work, and the roads were very icy. There was this big truck, and the driver swerved on the road. His car skidded on its side and slammed into Marco's. Are you with me?" she said. I felt her tears on my back and saw my own hit the hospital floor. 

        "Yeah, I guess. I- I uh, I warned him he shouldn't be drivng and I cant help but feel this is my fault." I said. I felt myself sob and I pulled my hair so hard I could have lost a good chunk of it. 

        "Don't beat yourself up, sweetheart. It wasn't anyone's fault. It was a horrible accident, and a tragedy, but you can't blame yourself. Is it okay if I continue, or do you need a minute?" she was so loving it was insane. 

        "No, no I'm okay. I need to know what happened." I pushed myself upright and leaned back. Marco's mom wrapped me in her arms as she continued. 

        "Well, the truck collided with Marco's car, and there were some spare tires in the back of it. They shattered his windows, and crushed the door. The door... and Marco's left leg. I inhaled sharply. "He lost a lot of blood, and I had a discussion with the doctor, and we both think the best option would be to amputate his leg. HIs bones were completely shattered, and there's no guarantee they would heal correctly. But, it's okay, he'll be okay." she said. I felt her hot tears on my back again. 

        "Oh my god... is there any other option? Is Marco even conscious to make that decision?" I almost screamed. 

        "No, Marco isn't conscious, so I made the decision. It'll be okay. Maybe you should go home Jean, get some rest. I'll stay with Marco, and call you the minute he wakes up." she said. pulling out her phone. 

        I shook my head. "I'm not leaving this hospital until Marco is leaving with me."