Chapter 13

Chapter 13

~

Jean's POV

        Marco wasn't picking up his phone. Every time I heard his sweet voice on the voicemail another part of me died. Hearing his recorded voice might be the last time I ever hear him speak. I gave up after 4 calls and dialed his mom. 

        "Do you know where Marco is?" I screamed into the phone. 

        "Calm down, Jean. Don't I get a 'hello'?" she said calmly. She must not know about Marco. 

        "Marco just drove off and left me a note." I panicked. 

        "What's the problem with a note?"

        "It was a suicide note." I heard her inhale. I wiped the sweat on my forehead and stood up. Sitting around on my ass wouldn't help Marco. 

        "Does his phone have GPS? Can you track it?" I questioned. I heard a flash of hope in her voice..

        "My god, there is. Hang on a minute, let me track it." I heard her fingers click at a keyboard. I was still too shocked to think straight.

        "It looks like he's headed to Utah. Jean, I'm calling the police." I lurched forwards. '

        "No, no, I can follow him. Just keep me posted on where he goes and I can follow him. If there's anyone to talk him out of this, it's me. What highway is he taking?" I grabbed my coat. 

        "He's on I-25. Not that far out too, I'm glad you found the note when you did. Or else it could have been-" 

        "No, don't talk like that. I'll find him."

        Outside it took me 6 minutes to wave down a cab. That means Marco got 6 minutes further away from me. told the cab driver where to go and we rode in silence for at least 30 minutes. I kept trying to call Marco, but he never answered. I felt like throwing up. 

        My phone buzzed and flashed Mrs. Bodt's number. I slid the answer key. 

        "He just pulled into a motel. I can text you the address, I think. I pray to god you get there in time." I nodded and hung up, before realizing she couldn't see me nod. I got the address and told the cabby where to go. 

        Ten minutes. It was a ten minute drive. In that ten minutes, Marco could have killed himself. It was a shitty motel with less than ten rooms. I saw our truck parked out in front of one and jumped out of the cab before it pulled to a stop. 

        i banged my fists on the door so hard, I swore I got bruises. Any pain I caused myself would be nothing compared to losing Marco. No response. 

        "MARCO! MARCO, OPEN THE DOOR!" I screamed. Still nothing. I kicked the door in an attempt to break it down. 

        "Jean..."  a muffled voice said from inside. I gasped and kicked the door again. And again, and again. Anything to get me in that room. On the sixth try, the door busted open. Marco's pale, freckled body was lying motionless on the floor next to a bottle of pills, now empty. 

        "Oh  my god... call 911! CALL 911, NOW!" I screamed at the cabby. I ran into the room and took Marco's body in my arms. He was still breathing. I saw my tears fall onto his face and wiped them off. 

        "No, Marco, please be okay. Dont be dead Marco. Don't be dead, I love you so much." he didn't move. I gripped his hand tight in mine. 

        "Don't leave me..."