Chapter 11

Chapter 11

~

Jean's POV

Today was perfect. Marco got his prosthetic leg yesterday, and he's doing a lot better. He was still a little depressed, but I could tell he was feeling a lot better. But, he's happier. So, today, March 2nd, I was going to propose.

3 months later than I had first planned. Even though I trashed the dorky stickers, I still had planned everything. I was going to take Marco out for dinner at a nice Italian restaurant he likes, and I'd propose when we got back.

Marco went to the grocery store, and when we got back I'll ask to take him out. I practiced what I'd say in front of the mirror and everything. I feel like a middle-schooler trying to talk to his crush. I didn't have a suit-neither of us owned a suit- so I put on a nice-ish button up shirt. I even got him flowers and everything.

I had maybe thirty minutes until Marco got back. The suspense was killing me. I actually had no idea what he would say. All of me hoped he would say yes, but there was nothing I could do if he said no. That's why I had to change my shirt from sweating so much.

"Jean, I'm back." I heard Marco's sweet voice fill the room. I ran over and helped him with the groceries. I could tell he was smiling through his confusion.

"Why are you so dressed up? Got a date tonight?" he said, playfully punching my arm.

"Actually, I do." I said. I backed behind the counter and grabbed the flowers. "Hopefully with you." I said, handing him the flowers. He blushed.

"Ooh. What's on the menu?" he asked, taking the flowers and my hand.

"Little Italian place you like. So, what do you say? You, me, some decent spaghetti? Sounds good, right?" Marco giggled.

"Sounds great. Just let me get changed." he tried to walk into the room, but I pulled him back.

"Whoa, who says you need to change? You look great." I said. He looked down at his shirt, and then back at me.

"Jean, this is your old My Chemical Romance shirt. Do you see how many holes are in this thing?" I started pulling him to the door, checking my pocket for the ring once more.

"Eh, who's going to notice anyways? Let's go!" I pulled him out of our apartment.

We decided to split a plate of spaghetti and meatballs because this place has huge portion sizes. I also got a bottle of fancy champagne for us. We talked while we waited for our food, and I got more and more nervous. He could probably see the sweat through my shirt.

"Jean, are you feeling okay? You're sweating a lot." he said. Marco noticing how nervous I was only made me more nervous.

Our food came and we ate in silence with the occasional eye contact and smile. Marco was strangely adorable while eating spaghetti. He got tomato sauce on his cheek and it looked like little red freckles. I used my napkin to wipe them off for him.

"So, what's the deal?" Marco set down his fork.

"What do you mean?' I asked.

'You're suddenly all romantic and shit. What's up with you?" I started sweating again. Marco's hidden talent was probably making me nervous.

"Just thought we should do something nice once in a while. You know, a break from cup noodles and pop tarts." I took another bite of meatball.

"Well, not that I'm complaining, it's just a little weird for you. You done?" he took another bite of pasta. I shrugged. When our waiter came around I got our check. I kept getting more and more nervous.

On the way home I held his hand. He probably felt how sweaty I was. Marco was a nice guy though, and he wouldn't have said anything.

We got home, and I was sweating more than ever. I felt my hair soaked to my forehead.

"I'm going to go change." I said. I jumped into the bathroom. The mirror confirmed my suspicions; my hair was definitely soaked to my forehead. I got my pjs from a drawer in the bathroom where I put them earlier and changed. Not long after splashing some cool water on my face I left the bathroom to meet Marco in the bedroom. He was sitting on the bed re-reading City of Heavenly Fire. Again.

"Hey, uh. Marco, can I ask you something?" he put the book down.

"Yeah, sure. Anything." I sat down next to him. At home, Marco didn't wear the prosthetic and used crutches. They were just easier for him. I moved his leg out of the way and sat down.

"So, we've been in a relationship for a really long time. And I love you. Like, I've never loved anyone in this world more than you. Not even my parents. But, I understand you've been through a lot with the whole accident thing, but I can really help you. I can help you becuase I love you more than anything, Marco." I lowered myself off the bed and down onto my knee. "Marco I love you so much. And, I want you to be mine forever." I pulled out the ring. "Marco, will you marry me?"

He broke out in tears. I couldn't even tell if it was the good kind.

"Oh my god, Jean. I love you so much, but I can't. I can't say yes. I'm sorry."