Part 16

I called Jessica. I told her everything that happened between me and Jacob, except for the werewolf part. I'd promised that I wouldn't say anything about that. And I would keep that promise.

"Alissa, that's terrible!" Jessica said after I'd finished explaining.

"I know, right?" I replied. "And it's extra terrible since I kept his biggest secret, and I'm still keeping it."

"What?" Jessica asked. "What's the secret?"

"I told you that I'm still keeping the secret. I'm not spilling anything." I got up and walked downstairs.

"Okay," Jessica replied. "You're a good friend for keeping his secret after he let you down. But he doesn't deserve someone like that."

"Just because he doesn't deserve me, it doesn't mean I'll stop being kind to him." I picked up a piece of paper and a pencil.

"And you shouldn't," Jessica told me approvingly. "But I just don't understand why you don't want revenge."

"Because I'm not like that!" I kind of yelled. "Others might be, but I'm not others. I'm me. And I would never want revenge." I walked back upstairs.

"Okay," Jessica said. "Just calm down for me, okay? But I totally understand your point of view on this. You wouldn't want to be rude to anyone, no matter the circumstances. I get that. And that's why you're such a good friend."

That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me in a long time. "Thanks, Jess," I said. "You're a good friend too. Understanding, funny, kind... a few things almost no one has. But you do, and I love you for that."

"So mushy," I heard the smile in Jessica's voice. "But thank you."

I heard a knock on her door. "Who is that?" I asked.

"Let me go see," she replied. I heard footsteps for a few seconds. "Oh no," she said. "This is bad."

"What?" I asked. "Who is it?"

"It's..."

"Hurry up!" I panicked. "Who is at the door?! I swear if you don't tell me now..."

"It's Jacob."

I full-on panicked. "Holy shit, Jessica!!! Don't answer the fucking door!"

But I was too late. She'd taken the phone away from her ear and answered the door.

"Hi, Jacob," I'd heard Jessica say.

"Hey. So I just got into a fight with Alissa and her sister Bella. I think you're Alissa's best friend, right?"

"Yes." Jessica put the phone a little closer to her ear so I could hear better.

"Well, I really like Alissa. And I'm sorry that I treated her like that. But I feel like if I tell her that in person, she won't believe me. But it's true, whether she believes it or not. So I was wondering if you could tell her."

"Um, actually she's right here." She put the phone on speaker so I could hear them better and Jacob could hear me. "Say something, Alissa."

"Hi, Jacob. And I heard everything you just said. I agree with you. And I love you too. But I want to get myself together first. You just let me down, and I wish you didn't. I'll be ready, but not now."

"Okay," Jacob replied. "I trust you when you say that. And I'll be waiting for you, whenever you want me."

"Please don't be mad that I don't want you right now," I said. "I will want you at some point. Please understand that."

"I do," he told me. "And I'm not mad. But until you're ready for whatever else, can we be friends right now?"

"Yes," I replied. "Of course. And I'm happy that you're so understanding. Thank you for being like that."

Jessica came into the conversation. "Now you know how I feel about you being so understanding."

I laughed. "Yeah, Jessica, I do. I really, truly do."

At that point, I was so happy. Happy that Jessica was my friend. Happy that Jacob and I made amends. Happy about how my life had turned out.