Part 40

My eyes slowly opened. I squinted at the light.

An oxygen tube rested under my nose. I reached for it, confused. A hand stopped me, and my surroundings came into focus.

"You're awake, baby!" a familiar voice said. "You're okay!" It was my mom. She smiled down at me.

I looked down at myself. I lied in a hospital bed. My leg was in a cast, and I was bandaged. I was in bad shape.

My mom hovered over me, tears in her eyes.

On the dresser, I saw some "get well" cards and a photo montage of me and my friends in Forks.

"Edward?" I asked. "Where's-"

"He's asleep," my mom said. She pointed across the room at Edward. His eyes were closed, but I knew for a 100% fact that he wasn't sleeping. "He never leaves," my mom said. "And your dad's down in the cafeteria."

"What... happened?" I asked.

"Baby," my mom said to me, "you fell down two flights of stairs and through a window. Edward came here to convince you to see your mother. His father brought him down. You went to their hotel but you tripped on the stairs."

It took me a moment to realize that was a cover story. I nodded.

My mom's cell phone beeped. She looked at it, then typed a reply. She sent it and put her phone away. "It's Phil," she told me. "He's worried about you." She smiled and said, "I told him to stay in Florida. The Suns signed him!"

"That's great mom," I said.

What she said next freaked me out. "Jacksonville is always sunny and you'll have your own bathroom..."

"Mom, wait. I want to live in Forks. I have Dad, and friends..."

"And he's there," Mom gestured to Edward.

I shrugged, conceding the truth.

"Charlie doesn't like him," Mom told me. "Blames him for your leaving."

"What do you think?" I asked her.

Mom lowered her voice. "I think that boy is in love with you."

I smiled, and Mom grinned. I glanced at Edward. "Um, Mom, would you mind getting Dad? I want to talk to him. Apologize."

She looked at me. "I'm sure he doesn't care about that, baby. But I'll go get him." She kissed my forehead and left. I watched her go. The door shut behind her.

I turned back to find Edward standing next to me with deep concern. My eyes welled up with tears. He kissed my forehead soothingly.

I looked at him. "Is James - did you?"

"We took care of him."

I closed my eyes with relief, then looked at him. "I'm alive because of you."

Edward darkened, and I noticed. "You're in here because of me," he motioned to the hospital room and stroked my face.

I knew that my wounds caused him pain. He really cared about me, and I loved him for it.

Edward continued. "The worst of it... was thinking I couldn't stop."

"But you did."

What he said next freaked me out. "Alissa, you should go to Jacksonville. Where I can't hurt you anymore."

"What? No! I want to be with you! I don't want-" I winced from the pain of my heart beating fast.

Edward carefully sat next to me. "Sssh. It's alright. I'm not going anywhere. I'm right here." He wrapped an arm around me as I curled up in his arms.