Part 84

We were in the Cullen house, which had been restored to its original warmth and beauty. The Cullen family was surrounding me.

"You all know what Edward wants. And you know what I want. But I won't force myself on you. I think the only fair way to handle this is by vote-"

"You can't be serious-"

I interrupted Edward. "This is my meeting," I said firmly.

He sat back, frustrated.

I turned back to the rest of the family. "However this turns out, I'm not letting the Volturi hurt you. I'll go back to Italy alone."

"The hell you will," Emmett said. "I'm not missing another fight."

"That's not up for a vote, Emmett. I don't want you involved."

"We've always been involved, honey, and we're not going to stop-"

I interrupted Esme. "No, please. I want you to seriously think about this. If I join you, you'll be stuck with me for a long time - forever. It's a huge decision. And I want - I need your honesty here."

They all nodded.

"Then let's take a vote... Alice?"

Alice jumped up and hugged me. "Like you're not already my sister. Of course, yes!"

I smiled.

Jasper rose, but kept his distance. "I vote yes. It'll be a relief not to want to kill you."

"Um. Thanks? Okay, Rosalie?"

"Edward, I'm sorry for what I did. I really am. And I know you're not ready to forgive me..." She turned to me. "But this isn't the life I'd have chosen for myself. I wish there'd been someone to vote no for me." She exchanged glances with Carlisle, and then turned back to me. "So... no."

I took it stoically.

Emmett bounded over and lifted me into a bear hug. "I vote hell yeah. We can pick a fight with these Volturi some other way."

Esme approached and embraced me very warmly. "I already think of you as part of the family. Yes."

Carlisle looked at Edward. "Edward-"

"You can't go along with this, Carlisle, you know what it means."

"You've chosen not to live without her, which leaves me no choice. I won't lose my son." He turned to me. "But Alice has never turned anyone. It'd be safer if I did it-"

The front door suddenly slammed. Edward was gone.

I blanched, but turned back to the family. "Thank you. Thank you all."