Part 65

I arrived at Jacob's house. I knocked on the door repeatedly.

Finally Billy answered.

"Hi, Billy," I answered. "I know Jacob's sick but-"

"He's out with friends," Billy answered.

I was taken aback. "Oh."

"I'll let him know you came by," Billy offered.

"Wait," I wasn't giving up that easily. "He's got mono, right? That's what you told my dad."

"You should go on home, Alissa," Billy told me with compassion. He closed the door.

I climbed in my car and slammed the door, pissed. I starts the truck. Then I turned it off. Deciding, I tossed the keys aside and sunk down into my seat to wait.

Rain now poured down. Billy, inside, pulled the curtain back, looking out at me with sympathy. Then he closed the curtain.

I looked out at the passenger window at Billy. Suddenly, there was a knock at my window. I spun to find Jacob standing there. His face was shockingly different. His hair was cropped short, and there was no friendly smile. There was no warmth in his eyes. There was just hard resentment. I was taken aback. Behind Jacob stood Sam, Jared, Paul and Embry. They were oblivious to the rain, wearing minimal clothes.

"You cut your hair," I commented.

"Go away," Jacob said. He turned away.

Sam lead the group toward the house. Jacob followed. I noted his sure-footed strides. His awkward growth spurt disappeared overnight.

I grabbed his arm. "What happened to you?"

He stopped, and turned back. The others waited on the porch for him. They were out of earshot, but wouldn't leave him alone with her.

I lowered my voice. "I can help."

His face was hard as he shook his head. He wasn't talking.

"Sam got to you," I said. "What did he do?"

"Sam's trying to help me, don't blame him."

"Then who?"

His voice was bitter. "How 'bout those filthy, reeking bloodsuckers you love? The Cullens."

I was thrown. "I... don't know what you're-"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about." He was shaking, almost convulsing with anger.

She regrouped. "The Cullens are long gone. How are they to blame?"

"They started all this by existing. Goddamn leeches-"

"Jacob." Sam interrupted, trying to not make him go further. Jacob glanced at Sam, who gave him a look.

Jacob took a breath, trying to calm himself. "I can't be friends with you anymore."

"Jake," I said, "I know I hurt you. I should have been more up-front but -- I needed you, I still do. I don't know what that means yet, but if you give me time-"

"Stop. Don't. It's not you-"

I interrupted him. "'It's not you, it's me?' God."

"It's true," Jacob said. "I'm not... good."

"You're wrong-" I said.

"It doesn't matter. This is over."

"I can't take losing my best friend, too."

"You already have-"

"Don't say that. You promised."

"Go home, Bella. Don't come back."

He left to go inside with his friends, leaving me standing in the rain, just like Edward did.