23.| umarmungen überall

umarmungen überall
{German} 》hugs all around

H a i l e e

     "What's the hardest thing you had to do?" I asked after a moment of silence. Aries swallowed his last bite of burger before answering.

"Telling my mom that dad left again." It took a while to register what he said. Then I remembered his mom has alzheimer and that his dad left when he was in middle school.

"He left when I was thirteen and never glanced back. He pays child support but I haven't seen his face since." He sighed. His eyes were clouded with anger and hurt.

"My mom keeps forgetting that he left and I'd have to see her ask about him. Sometimes I'd lie to her and tell her he's coming to visit soon and other times I tell the truth." He pinched the bridge of his nose. "I have to be the one who breaks her heart all over again. I have to see her eyes well up with tears because of the douche bag like him." He exhales loudly.

"It's...just...hard." He looked down at his lap. My hand was still intertwined with his, I squeezed it lightly for reassurance. I got up from my seat and headed towards his. Since the seat looked like a couch and could easily fit two people, I slide next to him. I wrap my arms around his torso and laid my head on his shoulder.

When I realised what I had just done, I wanted to curl up in a ball and die. It was embarrassing, I shouldn't have done it. What if he doesn't like hugs? What if I smell weird?

But all of my anxiety flew out when I felt his chest vibrates while he chuckled softly. I glanced up at him with a smile. He was already staring at me with his own wonderful smile. I could tell that the hug helped a little and he didn't seem angry anymore. I blushed and looked down again when his stare became a little too intense. I was getting ready to pull away when I felt his lips kiss the crown of my head. I blushed even more and heat spread through my neck, ears and cheeks.

"You're adorable." And I think I just swooned. I blushed beet red and turned my head down. He kissed my hair one more time and laid his head on mine. We sat in silence as I sipped on what's left of my vanilla milkshake. He seemed to be deep in thought while I got more sleepy by the minute. The subtle fall and rise of his chest and his beating heart sang to me like a lullaby luring me to sleep. I looked up at him to find him already staring back at me.

A sudden 'click' woke us up from our trace. I sat straighter as I pulled away from Ari. River was standing in front of us with a smirk and an IPhone in his hand.

"This must go on instagram." Ari chuckled while I blushed.

River sent it to Aries who sent it to me then he payed for our meals before we bid our goodbyes to River and his gorgeous diner. I yawned the whole walk back to his car while Aries just laughed at me.

"What? It has been a long day." I shrugged and he just shook his head at me.

● ● ● ● ●

          It was around six o'clock when I got the most random call ever, it was Nathan. The boys rarely called, let alone Nathan so I was eager to see what he wanted.

I had just gotten home from my shift, I laid in bed staring at the ceiling with my phone in my hand.

"Hailee, I need your help." Nathan's accent flew through the headphones. I sat up straighter as my stomach twisted a little. Did they fight again? Is one of them hurt?

"What happened?" I asked. There was a pause on the other side then the voice of someone crying.

"Oh God, is everyone okay?!" I asked a little frantically.

"Calm down, woman! Everybody is fine." I could tell Nathan was rolling his eyes at me. I sighed in relief.

"Edward broke up with his boyfriend and I need some help lifting his spirits up." I rolled my eyes internally before sighing.

"Why can't you get the other guys to help or Ana?" I didn't feel like going out after a long shift. Besides, it's Friday, I have got to catch up with all of my shows.

"Have you met the guys?! And Ana has dinner with her father in some fancy ass restaurant." I ran my hand through my hair before agreeing to meet him at Edward's place. He sent me the address and which subway to take. I quickly changed into an oversized sweater and my light wash mom jeans, I cuffed the ends and wore my vans with them.

I bid my goodbyes to mom whose eyes widened a little. She was shocked that I was getting out of the house at this hour. She knew I rarely go out on Fridays. She gave me extra money before wiggling her eyebrows at me. I rolled my eyes internally but smiled in apperication anyway.

It took me almost half an hour to get there. I was slowly starting to regret agreeing to this idea. I love Edward with all of my heart but he can be a drama queen.

I knocked on the door softly. After a few minutes, Nathan opened the door for me.

"Took you long enough." He rolled his eyes at me before gesturing to me to come in.

"Why are you so mad?" I asked. Nathan is the calmest out of all the boys. I have never seen him act this way around anybody. Maybe he hates me and just pretends to like me in front of the others?

He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose before answering. "Ed is driving me insane. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

"It's okay." I smiled reassuringly. He grinned back at me and then we made our way up the stairs to Edward's room. His house was beautiful. It was the perfect mix between cozy and modern. It also smelled super nice, like lavender.

Nathan knocked softly on the door before he opened it. At the sight of Edward, my heart dropped. He wrapped his arms around his knees and sat in the middle of the bed, rocking back and forth. Seeing him like that broke my heart into million tiny pieces. He was such a good guy and deserved someone who would appreciate that, not some jock trying to figure out his sexuality.

"Eddie." I whispered softly and slide next to him on the bed. He raised his head and looked at me with swollen eyes. They were red rimmed and puffy. I wrapped my arms around him and squeezed him tightly.

"He didn't deserve you, you're so much better off without him." I whispered. He nodded with a sad smile. I pulled away as he stretched out his limps. He wiped his cheeks before looking at me with a grateful smile.

"Thank you for coming."

"You don't have to thank me. That's what are friends for." I smiled. I kissed his cheek and he chuckled lightly at me.

"Do you wanna go somewhere?" Nathan asked from where he stood at the door. I shrugged and looked at Edward.

"How about Micheala Hudson's party?" Edward smiled wickedly. I looked back at Nathan, he nodded with a shrugg. Both of them turned their gaze towards me. I wasn't a party girl, I have never drunk alcohol nor have I ever been invited to such things. I didn't feel like going but Edward seemed excited about it and I want him to be happy so I nodded reluctantly.

"But I'm not dressed for the occasion." I glanced down at my sweater and mom jeans.

"You look fine." Nathan said. Edward nodded. We gave him some time to change and get ready before we headed out the door.