28.| draugai

draugai
{Lithuanian} 》friends

H a i l e e

         "So... I've been thinking lately," Aries started to say but I caught him off.

"Ohhh, that's never a good thing." Aries gave me an unamused look before continuing.

"I talked to mom about you, she doesn't really remember everything I say but she remembers enough to wanna meet you. And it might take your mind off the exams for a little bit, y'know?" Aries shuffled with his legs. A habit he does when he's nervous. We were leaning against the cold lockers of our school as we talked, we had just gotten out of class and we had a few minutes to spare before our second one.

"I'd love to meet her." I smiled softly at him seeing how nervous he was being, my hand uncontrollably reached forward. I ran my hand on his arm in a comforting gesture. When I realised what I was doing, I dropped my hand and blood rushed to my cheeks causing them to blush lightly.

"Well...we can go on Friday or Saturday?" He asked.

"I can't on Saturday because I have a full shift in H&M. Maybe on Friday because I don't start my shift till later in the afternoon but we might have to skip the last two lessons." My schedule was hectic these days but I couldn't be more grateful for having this job. It pays enough that I can help my parents and save some money for myself.

"Friday it is." He beamed at me causing my heart to flutter. I smiled at him again. The bell rang loudly startling the both of us out of our haze. I waved goodbye before continuing my way to the class.

A combination of feelings that are too confusing to specify clouded my thoughts. I felt happy, over the moon happy, because Aries talks about me to his mother. It gave me a weird sense of reassurance and in a way I felt special, but I'm probably not the first girl that he talked about to his mom.

A slight simmer of nervousness erupted in the bottom pit of my stomach but I didn't want to add gas to the fire so I didn't indulge in those thoughts. Because if I did think about the million ways it could go wrong, I would never be able to get out of that hole.

I entered the class with only a few seconds left before the second bell rang. I slide next to Jeffery and offered him a small smile. He nodded at me as a greeting before turning his head to the front again. Behind us sat Nathan and Ana scowling at each other for no apparent reason. I raised an eyebrow at Ana asking her what's wrong but she just shook her head at me. I shrugged and turned to the front to focus on our teacher.

● ● ● ● ●

  I finally had a moment to relax. I was back at the diner with Aries but this time we invited some friends over; Ana, Nathan, Jeffery and Edward. We were going over our answers in the most recent exams and it was alarming how different our answers were. I hope I at least get a C because it doesn't look too comforting right now.

"That was a simple fucking question, how could you get it wrong?" Jeffery ran his hand over his face in a frustrated matter. Edward grimaced before shrugging at his fuming friend.

"I dunno, okay? The nerves got that best of me." He frowned. I agreed with him internally, if I can't calm my anxiety before I go to an exam, I mess it up badly.

"Guys! The most important question right now is what do you want to eat?" Ana asked as she crossed her hands over her chest. I was starving, as I imagine most of us were, we had just gotten out of school and instead of suffocating ourselves in our rooms we decided to come here. Besides, it was an easier drive to the mall, Aries is driving us there for our night shift.

Silence fell on the table as everyone grabbed onto their menus. We quietly read them and carefully selected our burgers. River came and took our orders before we fell back into the conversation.

"Anybody is going to the Halloween party next Saturday?" Edward asked.

"Şi, and I have the perfect custom." Nathan smirked while Ana raised an eyebrow at him. I was never officially invited but the host said everybody is welcomed so if I find a good enough custom I might go with them.

"We're all going, don't worry. I'll be your designed driver, it's my turn anyway." Aries said and Edward smiled widely at him. I have come to know Ed as the party animal in this squad. He mostly spend his Saturdays at someone's house celebrating his youth with a pack of beer. But he is also pretty serious when it comes to his studies.

I still can't figure out why they call them bad boys, they are all big softies with a flare for the overdramatic.

"Let's dress as a group!" Ana squealed while everybody gave her a deadpan look.

"That would be cool but we've already chosen our customs." Aries smiled apologetically at her.

"I didn't, we could choose our customs together." I grinned at her as her eyes lit up. She wrapped her arms around me in a quick hug before dropping her arms.

After that, we changed the subject back to the upcoming exams as River brought our burgers. I delved into my burger quickly completely forgetting my manners.

"Hey! slow down before you choke." Aries's eyes shone with amusement as I smiled sheepishly at him after I swallowed my bite.

The conversation carried on as we ate. Laughs were ringing in the air making it feel lighter. A few fries were thrown towards Edward as he said another one of his lame jokes. Warmth felt my chest and a grin was apparent on my face as I stared at my bestfriends. Although I have only known them for two months now, I felt a real connection with all of them -even Jeffery- and time didn't matter, it didn't exist when it came to them because I'm always happy around them and I'm always me. I don't have to fake anything to be their friend, I was completely transparent as they were that's why it is easy being with him, it feels normal. It feels like...home.

Boring chapter I know :/ but it's a chapter nonetheless. I hope you enjoyed it anyway.

I'm sorry for not updating but my life has been hectic lately and I was feeling super uninspired but my sister helped with that. We started talking about this book and books in general so the urge to write was back.

Also, I won't be sticking to an update schedule anymore because school is back and I can't keep up :)

Before you go, I have to inform you that Home Is Overrated is coming to an end pretty soon so get ready.

Thank you for your patience and your time. Till next chapter, bye ;)