Invisible

Two calls. Two messages. No answer. No call back. Kate sat against her bed on the floor. She held the phone in her hand worrying. I hope John's okay, she thought to herself. She had wished it didn't end like that. But once again Candy's problems ended up ruining a relationship for her again. She didn't want to talk to anyone. Not Candy, Anthony, Chad, Flea, and especially John. She stood up slamming the phone back onto the dresser and walked to the fridge grabbing a bottle of wine. Trudging into the bathroom she started the tub. Back again, she thought to herself undressing and dunking herself under the water. The warmth filled her empty soul. She popped her head through the water and leaned back against the tub. She popped the cap off the bottle of the wine and took a giant swig. Her thoughts were interrupted by a giant slam of her apartment door and the sound of Candy's voice yelling, "You better not be in that damn tub or I swear to god-" Kate quickly sat up and jumped out of the tub wrapping a towel around her body. She opened the bathroom door holding the bottle of wine trudging past Candy.

"I know it was my fault-"

"It was."Kate snapped putting her pajamas on in her room. Candy leaned against the doorframe watching her and said softly,

"Did you call him?"

"Two times."

"I'm assuming he didn't call back?"

"What do you think?"

"What made him storm away from you anyway?"

"He told me he liked me and asked if I was happy."

"Did you reply?"

"He didn't even give me time he just ran away."

"Damn that's terrible." Anthony said walking into Kate's room squeezing Candy's hand. He sat on her bed and continued, "I called him. He was getting wasted. Give him some time. He'll come back. Trust me."

The couple watched the brunette turn to her mirror and brush through her hair. She was silent. Anthony asked "Are you gonna be okay by yourself?"

"Yeah. I was before."

"Alright. If you need one of us just call." She didn't reply and listened to them leave. Grabbing the wine bottle again she turned all the lights off taking one giant swig. She got so drunk she couldn't even tell she was crying. The tears poured down her face and she placed her hands into her face, crumbling underneath the sheets.

The next morning she was awoken by a pounding headache. She tripped over the two wine bottles tossed on the floor. She grabbed two pills tossing them to the back of her mouth and swigged them down with water. She brushed her teeth and changed into a purple short sleeve T-shirt and jean shorts. She brushed through her hair, being interrupted by a knock on her door.

"Open up!" Candy's voice sounded from the other side of the door. She sighed stumbling towards the door. After answering the door, Candy explained how she wanted to spend some time with her best friend today. "It'll be fun! Trust me!" The blonde smiled assuring her friend in the car. The car ride was silent until she broke the silence again,
"You've been crying. I can tell."

"I got drunk last night."

"I told you not to get drunk!"

"I know."

"It's fine. Sorry that I yelled. I don't like seeing you cry. I feel really bad. I feel like I messed up your thing with John."

"Don't worry about it. Just pay for my food." Kate smiled as they pulled into the drive-thru. She sipped her vanilla milkshake as they both looked at the waves in the beach parking lot. Candy smirked sipping her chocolate milkshake saying, "Did you guys kiss yet?"

"No. He only kissed my cheek."

"Kate! That's so cute! That means he really likes you. Other guys would want to get in your pants on the first date! He's taking things slow. That's hot."

The brunette rolled her eyes saying "What about you and Anthony? Didn't he get in your pants on the first date?"

"Second date! He usually does the first! That means he really likes me."

"I guess? What did he say to you the other day? I forgot to ask you that..."

"He said he was tired of me flirting with other guys. He said I'm his."

"Well he's not wrong. You guys are boyfriend and girlfriend."

"You know I don't mean to flirt! My personalities just like that. He kissed an interviewer on television the other day! And he wants me to stop flirting! Maybe he should stop sucking face with other-"

"Alright, Alright! Enough relationship problems!"

"Sorry. Guys, am I right?" They both laughed. Kate reached for a fry looking around where Candy was driving. She cursed and snapped "Candy! Where are we going!"

"Anthony's filming a documentary, and making a new album with the band at this haunted mansion! He told me to check it out and bring you."

"Candy! This is not good! I don't want to see John! It'll be so uncomfortable! He hasn't called me back so he doesn't want to talk to me."

"Take a chill pill, Katie-cat! Just hang around me-"

"You'll be too busy sucking Anthony's face!"She interrupted sticking her tongue out making the blonde laugh.

"Fine! I won't. I'll show you wrong." She promised laughing as they pulled up to the mansion. The two made there way up the stairs of the mansion. They were let in by the manager. The two girls looked around. It was very creepy, but cool.

"My favorite girls!" Chad smiles jogging down the stairs. Flea screamed running down the stairs with Anthony following. John followed making Kate turn her head. She fumbled with her hands. She listened to the conversation following with the guys as they toured them through the mansion. She kept avoiding eye contact with John feeling his stare. Should I say something, she thought to herself shaking her head. After the tour Anthony said "You two should come stay!" Kate discreetly stepped on Candy's foot.

"No that's okay. I have work, and Kate's starting classes again soon." She smiled making Kate nod her head.

"Your in college?"Chad asked Kate. She stuttered, "Yeah. Nothing special. I'm studying medicine at the local college. Night classes." Chad nodded impressed. She made eye contact with John. He had a straight face. She stared back and could practically hear him saying, fuck off. She turned to Candy.

"Well we better get going. This was fun!" Kate didn't hesitate turning on her heel first walking out of the house. She sighed once they reached the driveway and she turned to Candy laughing "Fuck you." They both started hysterically laughing in the driveway.