6: The Joker's True Colors

“Mother?” I questioned, knocking on the door of the motel she had chosen. She opened the door and smiled at me wearily.

“Hello, Kellen. Is Layla with you?”

I moved to the side to show my sister.

“Hi, mommy!” My sister spoke in an upbeat tone, trying to get my mother to perk up, but I could see there was a lack of emotion in my mother at the moment. She had been hit hard emotionally today, I guessed.

My mother moved to the side and let us both in, then went back onto her laptop.

“I’m looking for a job.”

“Why?” I questioned.

“To support you two.”

“Why don’t we get money from dad?”

She shook her head grimly. “Not going to bother him. He has to do his own thing.”

I was surprised, but then I remembered that at some times my mother held on a great deal of pride. She got up for a moment and sighed. “Kellen, you watch your sister. I have to go get a friend of mine.”

I nodded and turned to look at my sister as soon as my mom left the room. “See?”

“Gosh, mom’s a wreck. . .”

“I know,” I sighed, and went onto her laptop. I logged onto Skype and started to call my father’s, which was always on so the Batman could contact him whenever he was pissed.

My dad answered, his face was completely puzzled. “Dear-. . .Oh, hi kids. Where’s your mother?”

“I don’t know, she said she had to get a friend of hers,” I spoke, shrugging.

“Oh, God. . .” Dad put his hand on his face and groaned. “She’s getting that fucking tiger. Rajan.”

“Who?”

“We used to have a tiger. Well, your mom did. She got rid of him in able to protect you guys, because he had feral moments. He can never die, so your mom decided to put him in a Zoo until she was able to break him free, but I kept telling her to leave him there. I guess since I’m out of the picture, she’s doing whatever she wants.”

“A fucking tiger?!” My sister bellowed.

“You watch your mouth, young lady. I won’t deal with that fucking language.” My dad started to cackle, causing my sister and me to sigh.

“You’re really letting mom walk away?” Layla asked, dad shrugged and sighed.

“Maybe it’s best.”

“You say that like you don’t give a crap about her.” Layla responded, frowning. “Daddy. Come on.”

“Listen, Layla. I am The Joker. And I am going to stay that way until the day that I die.”

“Even if it means giving us up?” She questioned, tearing up.

Dad looked at her and hesitated. His eyes darkened. “Yes.”

I exchanged a glance with my sister, horrified. My sister looked like she was going to collapse any second now, and I was about to cuss my father out via Skype. “Dad. What the fuck.”

“Your mother should have known that the day that she met me.”

“Well, she was kind of a mental patient.”

“Maybe she deserves to check herself into Arkham with these terrible mood problems.”

I let out a dry laugh. “Wow, dad. They were right. You are a heartless bastard. Bye.” I shut off Skype, just in time too because the front door started to unlock. A big ball of fur ran in with excited eyes, its eyes fell on me, and then it pounced. I screamed as it landed on top of me, its weight crushing me, but I calmed down when it started to rub its head along my neck. It was a fluffy, giant tiger. Its grey eyes were bright and familiar. . . .”Mom, how come he looks familiar?”

“I introduced you two when you were a little one. He remembers you.”

The tiger then turned its large head to peer at Layla, who was staring at the ground, still sad from the video call.

Rajan seemed to notice, because he put his large head in Layla’s lap, causing her eyes to light up. She laughed softly, stroking his fur as his eyes fluttered closed, loving the attention.

~*~Joker’s Point of View~*~

I was shaking. I didn’t like talking to my kids like that, but what was I thinking, allowing myself to have a family? I was growing soft. I was supposed to be the rough, tough clown that everyone feared. Not a father. Why did I even allow that to happen?

Kellen. . . .Layla. . . Two beautiful pieces of my life, that I had to cut out.

I grinded my teeth together and got up, taking out a gun and shooting a henchmen in the back of the head, laughing when his brains littered the dirty walls. I turned to my new assistant, K, a girl with long, silver hair in one braid down her back and large blue eyes. She smirked and laughed at the henchmen who cowered away from me.

“Ready, K?”

“I’m fuckin’ ready, mate.” She stretched her arms up, leaning back to touch the wall behind her. Her small crop top lifted to show the bottom sections of her breasts, and I looked away, sighing. All the henchmen couldn’t take their eyes off of her, but I definitely could.

She was hot, but my wife was hotter.

I stopped for a moment and sighed, slipping off my wedding ring and placing it in a small box in my desk.

Ex wife.

“Let’s go,” I muttered, picking up empty sacks for money. Time to rob a bank.