24: The End

Tim swung by later that night to talk to me. I punched him in the arm.

“Ow!” he shouted.

“Freakin’ Damian shows up before you and joins in on the family party welcoming Layla home and you’re off? Man! You’re my best friend!” I shouted.

Him and I looked at each other for a moment, then burst into laughter.

“Oh, man I thought you were mad at me!” he punched me in the arm, I snickered and led him into the living room. My mother was sitting on the couch with my father, redoing his makeup. Layla was off to the side showing Damian that she could make it rain flowers, and Helena was waiting for me by the iPod tower, controlling the easy going music, and looking beautiful. She smiled when she saw me, a blush littering her cheeks as she bit her lip and looked down nervously. Stunning.

I punched Tim again and trotted over to Helena, taking her into a gentle hug. “How’re you?” I breathed softly.

“Fine, now that I have you again.” She sighed. “And I’m sorry again for all that I’ve caused, because I—“

“Shh, it’s over now. In Gotham City, the impossible can happen, and as long as I have people I can trust, I think I’ll be fine.”

She smirked and went in for a kiss, but we stopped when soft mounds started falling on us. I looked around in shock until I met the mischievous eyes of my sister, making flowers rain on us.

“You may kiss the bride!” she teased, and I flipped her off jokingly. We both snickered as she mocked me by copying my body language.

Damian laughed at her and put a flower in her hair, kissing her forehead. She blushed and turned her attention back at him. I bent down and picked up flowers, throwing them at my parents.

My dad looked up in surprise, then snickered. “Oh, son, if I were to throw my own flowers at you, your skin would melt off from the acid in them.”

I shook my head. “Oh, I don’t doubt you still have those.”

“They’re metal as fuck.” My mom said. My jaw dropped. She froze. “Oh, shit, language.”

The room went quiet for a moment, followed by a roar of laughter. Even Rajan, who had taken the spot under the chair, was amused by the situation, and I doubt he even had a full idea of what was going on.

“Oopsie!!!” my mom spoke in aggravation. Dad took her hand and kissed it.

“You’re still the woman I met in the Asylum,” he sighed happily. She blushed and put her head into his shoulder. I turned to Helena now, a smile spreading itself on my face when I saw her big, beautiful eyes staring back at me.

A new feeling swelled through me, causing me to feel elated, as if I was in some sort of surreal universe, but I wasn’t. I was home. I was with the people who I knew would always be there for me, and it made me so emotional that Helena had to grip onto my hand to let me know she was there and that if I started to cry, she’d help me out. I felt like such a baby, but I couldn’t help it. All my loved ones under one roof, all of us knew the good and bad of each other, yet none of it mattered. None of it. We were still going to be there for each other, no matter what. I couldn’t help but tear up. Happy tears threatened to spill as my vision became blurry from the buildup of them, but I didn’t mind if anyone saw me cry. They’d understand. It was a feeling that seemed to be going around. Layla was already crying as Damian held her.

“So beautiful. . . .” I heard her sob as she stroked the petals on the flower she had placed on Damian’s shoulder. “Life is just so damn beautiful. . . .”

I smiled, and realized how right she was. Through all the dark times and the fighting, all the uncertainty and mixups with the people who I thought I had lost, I realized something amazing. Something that made me happy, something that filled my heart with that something I needed to keep on with this lifestyle. A passion, a pleasure, a meaning to everything.

I was happy to be from the darker side of life.

The End...~