21: Thirty-Five Seconds to Insanity

My dad turned to look at me with disgust. “Really, Kellen?” He looked offended, hurt, and angry. “What have you done?”

I was speechless. Everyone here was. My best friend, and my love. Both of them against me all at once.

“We have to bring you all to justice,” Tim spoke dryly, looking as if I had stabbed him directly in the back right then and there. Helena looked as if she was about to collapse as well. I felt as if I was looking in a mirror when I saw her inability to stand.

My sister took the opportunity and wriggled out of her, sprinting to stand next to my father and me, a new anger in her eyes. “Bitch!” she seethed at Helena, causing Helena to snap out of her trance and look straight at her, a forming anger in her eyes. I was angry, too now, seeing my sister fighting, struggling to breathe. Helena almost killed my own sister.

I stood in front of my sister and lifted my hand up to Helena, who had lifted up her crossbow to me. “You gonna shoot me?” I shouted angrily, my father dodged a batarang from Batman and went for him, and as they fought on the ground, punching and wrestling, I focused on the two people who used to mean everything to me. Helena, who was holding a crossbow to me, aiming directly at me, and Tim, who had his two electric-filled Escrima sticks, ready to fight me with them. I could see the pain in their eyes, but also the anger and betrayal, and I felt the same way.

There was no going back now.

I lifted both hands to both people, starting to squeeze and destroy them slowly, feeling the tears forming in my eyes. They had to go.

In a blur, everything became ten times worse. Helena released her crossbow, setting it off as it hit the floor, and it flew straight towards me. I closed my eyes, welcoming sweet death, but I did not succumb to it like I thought I would.

Everyone in the room froze, everyone stopped, and I realized that the crossbow did not hit me.

I turned slowly, my father’s angry, defeated voice roaring seemed distant now as I turned just in time to see my sister’s body on the floor in a puddle of blood.

She wasn’t moving.

She wasn’t breathing.

I felt my blood start to boil.

I turned to Helena, eyes filled with tears. “You should have shot me.” My voice broke in between words. “Not her. Not my sister.”

Helena’s hand flew to her mouth, eyes terrified at her own work. She hadn’t meant to, but her finger was on the trigger. She had set it off, not the fall it took to the floor. The arrow released before the device hit the floor.

Batman and Joker stopped fighting. They had to. Joker had quit. He stopped fighting. He was on the floor, kneeling, looking at my sister. Looking at his dead daughter, and his eyes filled with a fire I had never seen before. He got up angrily. “Not again. . .” He muttered. “No. . . .”

He started to laugh darker than I’ve ever heard before and turned to look at Helena. “You. . . .Watch your fucking back.”

The three intruders looked at one another in pure shock. They meant to incarcerate us, not kill one of us. But that’s what happened.

My sister never chose this life. She never wanted to be involved. She wanted to be normal.

Why didn’t I die?

Why did she?

The darker side of life really had no rays of light. No escape to happiness. No quicker road to the end, just a quicker road to sorrow.

I lost everything in thirty-five seconds, and I could feel insanity start to set in. Pure insanity.

I would never be the same.