10: Evangeline's Sturdy Progress

The next day was a beautiful Sunday, the sun shone out and illuminated my home. For once, everything felt normal again.

That is, until a tiger made its way next to me and sat down while I ate my dinner. Leftover turkey.

My mother sat at the table next to me. It was the first time she had gotten up since my father had left. Her beautiful blue hair was in a braid that fell down her left shoulder and rested on her thigh as she sat legs crossed, slowly eating. She seemed in her own little world, but she didn’t seem as sad as before.

The doorbell rang, and my mother quickly scooped up her hair, wrapped it around at the top of her head, and grabbed a blonde wig, adjusting it on her head as quickly as possible, which was actually quite quick. It was a routine for her, since her blue hair was what she used as her identity as a criminal. She could never go out normally without a blonde wig.

She scurried up to the door, opening it quickly.

My jaw nearly dropped when I saw who was standing there. Bruce Wayne. I didn’t expect him to make an appearance, but here he was, at my doorstep, eyeing my mother with what looked like interest.

My mother looked surprised, the most emotion I had seen out of her in way too long. She turned to me as if to question if I had broken something in his house and he was looking for me to fess up to it or something. I shook my head, so she turned back to look at Bruce. “Er. . .Hello.”

“Hi, I hope I didn’t catch you at a bad time,” he breathed, laughing a bit, throwing off that rich boy charm I recognized that Damian gave off. My eyes narrowed. “I’ve been informed of your predicament, and since your children are so close to mine, I figured I’d be delighted to help you out financially.”

My mother looked surprised, and I could see a hint of uneasiness in her expression. “What’s the catch?”

It was Bruce’s turn to look stunned. His eyes widened, and he blurted out a bit of laughter. “Uhm, nothing. I can assure you that all I’m doing is sharing my wealth.”

My mother hesitated before smiling softly. “How nice of you.”

“It’s really no problem. Trust me. Now, here’s my card. . .We can meet up for lunch one day to discuss this matter further. I don’t wanna take you away from your lovely family dinner. How does Tuesday sound? 12:30?”

My mother had a sly smirk on her face. “Sounds lovely, Mr. Wayne.”

“Please, call me Bruce,” he spoke, smirking as well. “I’ll pick you up at 12:30, then.”

“It’s a date.”

Bruce gave a nod, smirking so large it looked like he was gonna break his face. My father’s grin was smaller than this dude’s. “Alright, see you then!”

“Mmhmm,” my mother spoke, turning, slowly closing the door. Once it was shut, her eyes landed on me, and her smirk instantly went away.

“What?”

“Nothing,” I spoke, heading off to my room to punch a bag. I did not like this. This was too weird for me. My mother, going on a date with Tim’s “dad”, who was also the father of Layla’s boyfriend? Too weird.