23: A Twist

I blinked. “What about her?”

“She can revive her. I know she can. She’d just come back like Ivy.”

“All green and shit? You shouldn’t mess with the dead.”

“No, no. . .” She sighed. “I’ve seen it done before. I have. She can bring Layla back, not like a zombie. She can restore her life but it’d be replaced with this chemical found in plants, so she’d be a mini-Ivy. But she wouldn’t be green.”

“Would Ivy do that for us?”

“I’d make Batman make her. He hasn’t gotten up in a week, he’s not fighting your father, he’s ashamed for what happened to Layla,” she sighed. “It’s against everything he stands for, but they’ll work together for one time and one time only, to save Layla.”

I hesitated. “I won’t go with you. You and Batman go, and you bring Layla home. I will explain to my parents once Layla walks in what is happening, but I don’t want the added stress of being thrown across the room by Ivy.” I was doubtful. She wouldn’t help us. We were her rivals. Every villain rivalled with each other.

“Oookay. . .” She sighed. “But you have to trust me. Tell them that Ivy helped her.”

Tim slipped into the window as well, looking at me with a pained expression. “Woah, you too?”

He didn’t say anything, just hugged me tight. I sighed. “Dude, you know I didn’t want any of this to happen. . .” He sighed. He let go and sat down. “We’re from the good side, yes, but we like you. We’re not gonna let you down, we’re not gonna abandon you. We’re gonna stick by you, and help you as much as possible.”

I shook my head. I felt a little relieved to have my girl and my best friend back, but I was still uncertain. “Fine, man.”

“Then will I be forgiven?” Tim asked me.

“Man, you’re always forgiven. You only followed orders.”

“Yeah, you didn’t contribute in what happened to Layla, but I promise I’ll get her back.” Helena looked serious.

“She’s gone, but. . .Okay. I guess I’ll put my last sliver of trust into you two, and the power of friendship and love. You go save the day” I spoke sarcastically, then sighed. I walked out to the kitchen to make myself a sandwich. I hadn’t eaten in a couple of days, I would always lose track of it. I took my time eating before confronting my mother, who seemed like she would be the first to collapse. I stopped by my room first to find it was empty. Helena had already left to supposedly revive my sister. Ha. Right. I walked out of my room and into my parent’s bedroom where my mom stood at the mirror, curling her hair.

“Mom? What are you doing?”

She sighed. “Keeping my mind busy, sweetie. Shouldn’t you be at school?”

“It’s Saturday.”

“Oh. Well, I haven’t seen you leave that room since. . . .A week ago.”

“Since Layla died.”

My mom pursed her lips and stopped curling her hair for a moment. “Did you know that babies grow fingernails inside the womb? Icky. Icky icky baby fingernails.”

“You’re avoiding what happened.”

“I just feel like it isn’t true. Like she’ll come back, and we’ll be a happy family again. Your father can’t even look at himself in the mirror anymore. . . I’m in denial. . .” she sighed. “We’re trying to function.”

I was in shock. She actually knew she had been in denial.

Rajan let out a cry and rolled on my parent’s bed, getting up to leap at the bedroom door where I was. I jumped, thinking he was going to me, but he wasn’t. His head was in the air and he let out a large growl. My mother immediately put the hair curler down and turned to look at him.